Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hope to study medicine at university, but this is a very difficult course to get in to, so I'm looking for some plan B courses. Are there any courses similar to medicine that are worth while doing? I know that I really am passionate about getting into this type of course so I would like to maximize my chances of having a place in one by applying for a wider range, instead of limiting myself to specifically medicine, which I might not get into.

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy, Radiography, Veterinary Medicine, Nursing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorpio99)
    I hope to study medicine at university, but this is a very difficult course to get in to, so I'm looking for some plan B courses. Are there any courses similar to medicine that are worth while doing? I know that I really am passionate about getting into this type of course so I would like to maximize my chances of having a place in one by applying for a wider range, instead of limiting myself to specifically medicine, which I might not get into.
    What is it that attracts you to medicine? Bearing in mind that it is a sareer-based course whereas alternatives might not be, or will lead to quite different jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorpio99)
    Dentistry or veterinary surgery in terms of course structure and professional life. Unfortunately these are both very competitive too.

Courses like biomedical sciences, biochemistry etc have some superficial similarities to content which is taught during the first two years of a medical degree, but they are otherwise very different and their career pathways are very different too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dkfalling)
    What is it that attracts you to medicine? Bearing in mind that it is a sareer-based course whereas alternatives might not be, or will lead to quite different jobs.
    Without getting into too much detail, members of my family have had a lot of issues with their health so I've gained an urge to help people in similar situations. I particularly enjoy scientific subjects and I'm just genuinely drawn to the dedication and sense of fulfillment that doing this course would bring me. I know that I'd like to do a course that would lead me to a medical career, anything that would direct to this type of career is ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Dentistry or veterinary surgery in terms of course structure and professional life. Unfortunately these are both very competitive too.

Courses like biomedical sciences, biochemistry etc have some superficial similarities to content which is taught during the first two years of a medical degree, but they are otherwise very different and their career pathways are very different too.
    Thank you, this helped a lot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.