Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am (hopefully) about to graduate from university with a degree in Optometry and I will begin my pre-registration course later on this year.

Once I have completed my pre-reg and become fully qualified I would love to work abroad. I understand there may be complications due to the different Optometry councils/boards ect in each country but I have searched online and been unable to find any decent information about working in Optometry in a different country.

I am basically reaching out for any information on where to find information about working as an Optometrist in a different country? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It'll really depend on where you want to work as each country will be different. Work out which country you're interested in first, then work out the name of the relevant professional body and go from there. Don't be afraid to email and ask.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working as an Optometrist, so hopefully I can help a little
    For most European countries, a UK Optometry degree is enough, and you just need to register with their optometric body - that said, the majority of European countries really only have "opticians" rather than optometrists, so you'll be doing refractions with very little ocular examination and low pay.

To work in Canada, you used to have to do a "bridging" course which lasted 6months+ (as far as I'm aware) I think they've now scratched that, but you need to be able to pass their final board exams, which contain more pharmacology than the UK degree (also gonioscopy).
    The only university which offers optometry in Canada and which (at least used to) do the bridging program is Waterloo (https://uwaterloo.ca/international-o...dging-program/)

To study in America I think you basically need to gain an OD - it varies from state to state, but I think there are some licencing issues if you haven't done lots of pharmacology - I'm not sure on this at all, but it's what I've heard...

Australia is a similar sort of thing to Canada/USA as far as I know!

Hope that helped a little!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baylo1)
    I'm currently working as an Optometrist, so hopefully I can help a little
    For most European countries, a UK Optometry degree is enough, and you just need to register with their optometric body - that said, the majority of European countries really only have "opticians" rather than optometrists, so you'll be doing refractions with very little ocular examination and low pay.

To work in Canada, you used to have to do a "bridging" course which lasted 6months+ (as far as I'm aware) I think they've now scratched that, but you need to be able to pass their final board exams, which contain more pharmacology than the UK degree (also gonioscopy).
    The only university which offers optometry in Canada and which (at least used to) do the bridging program is Waterloo (https://uwaterloo.ca/international-o...dging-program/)

To study in America I think you basically need to gain an OD - it varies from state to state, but I think there are some licencing issues if you haven't done lots of pharmacology - I'm not sure on this at all, but it's what I've heard...

Australia is a similar sort of thing to Canada/USA as far as I know!

Hope that helped a little!

Hi, your comment helped me too just wondering what country you are in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.