The Student Room Group

Who has replied to offers?? 2017

With the UCAS application deadline looming and just under 100 days till the reply deadline (depending on the course hehe) I am assuming many are making these all important decisions!!

Let's get to know you:
Where have you firmed and insurance (or have you got an unconditional??)
Subject
Grades
Current A-Levels
What are you most looking forward to??
Original post by hurricaneellin
With the UCAS application deadline looming and just under 100 days till the reply deadline (depending on the course hehe) I am assuming many are making these all important decisions!!

Let's get to know you:
Where have you firmed and insurance (or have you got an unconditional??)
Subject
Grades
Current A-Levels
What are you most looking forward to??

There is no advantage to firming an offer early. We always have multiple threads on TSR from people who get over enthusiastic and firm a choice only to realise it wasn't the right decision 3/4 months later.

The earliest to make a firm/insurance choice on Track is April.
Original post by PQ
There is no advantage to firming an offer early. We always have multiple threads on TSR from people who get over enthusiastic and firm a choice only to realise it wasn't the right decision 3/4 months later.

The earliest to make a firm/insurance choice on Track is April.

Yea there isn't much of an advantage but a lot of people will know where they want to go by now, a lot of people in my school have already firmed. Someone recorded all theirs by end of October and everything was firmed by November. The earliest is when you are ready, saying things like that may make people feel less confident about their decision's so be careful what you say.
Yea there isn't much of an advantage but a lot of people will know where they want to go by now, a lot of people in my school have already firmed. Someone recorded all theirs by end of October and everything was firmed by November. The earliest is when you are ready, saying things like that may make people feel less confident about their decision's so be careful what you say.

Agreed. Theres no harm in firming your university choice now if you're sure thats where you wanna go.

A lot can change in the 6-7 months between November and the first deadline in May (or in the 3/4 months between now and the deadline). Every year we have dozens/hundreds of threads on TSR from applicants who make a formal decision on Track and then change their mind for a whole range of reasons.

I'm not saying you can't decide - I'm saying making that decision FORMALLY on Track before April offers no benefits and removes a substantial amount of flexibility if something changes in your academic or personal life that affects your decisions.

There are NO advantages to firming a choice on Track earlier than April.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
A lot can change in the 6-7 months between November and the first deadline in May (or in the 3/4 months between now and the deadline). Every year we have dozens/hundreds of threads on TSR from applicants who make a formal decision on Track and then change their mind for a whole range of reasons.

I'm not saying you can't decide - I'm saying making that decision FORMALLY on Track before April offers no benefits and removes a substantial amount of flexibility if something changes in your academic or personal life that affects your decisions.

There are no disadvantages, most people who regret their decision usually have rushed into it. There are a lot more people who really think it through who are happy with their decision. And will be. I know more people like that than otherwise. This thread was about celebrating those choices, it wasn't for someone to come and make people feel worried that they have made the wrong decision.

Sometimes there are advantages, like motivation to now work harder. Your opinion is your own, I respect that but don't go round telling people they've confirmed too soon
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

Some Unis open accomodation requests earlier than April for students who have made the Uni their firm choice, usually allocated on a first come first serve basis I can see that as a reason for an early Firm.
There are no disadvantages, most people who regret their decision usually have rushed into it. There are a lot more people who really think it through who are happy with their decision. And will be. I know more people like that than otherwise. This thread was about celebrating those choices, it wasn't for someone to come and make people feel worried that they have made the wrong decision.

Sometimes there are advantages, like motivation to now work harder. Your opinion is your own, I respect that but don't go round telling people they've confirmed too soon

You mean like this person https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4498634

There ARE disadvantages - you LOSE the flexibility to easily change your mind.

The people who regret their choices might be in the minority but they're a substantial minority - and threads like this "celebrating" choices MONTHS before the deadline add pressure onto other applicants to rush into a decision.
Original post by BBS_
Some Unis open accomodation requests earlier than April for students who have made the Uni their firm choice, usually allocated on a first come first serve basis I can see that as a reason for an early Firm.

Universities are FORBIDDEN from incentivising applicants to firm earlier than the UCAS deadlines. That includes preferential accommodation allocation. Applications may open earlier for accommodation but allocation in a way that disadvantages applicants who haven't decided (and some applicants can't decide on UCAS until their final decision comes in in May) is FORBIDDEN.

There are NO advantages to firming early on Track.
All this thread was for was to talk to others who had firmed, this wasn't a discussion on when and when you shouldn't firm.
All this thread was for was to talk to others who had firmed, this wasn't a discussion on when and when you shouldn't firm.

We'll have a stickied thread for firm/insurance decisions - but not until March. Any earlier and it puts unnecessary pressure on undecided applicants to rush into a decision "because everyone else is doing it".
Original post by PQ
We'll have a stickied thread for firm/insurance decisions - but not until March. Any earlier and it puts unnecessary pressure on undecided applicants to rush into a decision "because everyone else is doing it".

I understand that, thank you for letting me know. Next time say that from the beginning, would save an argument. Thanks x
For what it's worth I see no harm in this thread
Original post by PQ
Universities are FORBIDDEN from incentivising applicants to firm earlier than the UCAS deadlines. That includes preferential accommodation allocation. Applications may open earlier for accommodation but allocation in a way that disadvantages applicants who haven't decided (and some applicants can't decide on UCAS until their final decision comes in in May) is FORBIDDEN.

There are NO advantages to firming early on Track.

The University of Liverpool accommodation is first come first served
Original post by tsrolivia
The University of Liverpool accommodation is first come first served

Not really - they ALLOCATE rooms once offers are confirmed in August. You can apply in January and if you are waiting for a gcse result to meet your offer you'll be allocated after someone who applied on 30 July with only A level conditions.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/accommodation/applying/

Quick Reply

Latest