Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about applying for the Classics course II 2018 entry. I'm nervous about devoting a lot of time on an application because I think my GCSE grades aren't strong enough. I got:

latin: A*
    geography: A*
    history: A*
    german: A
    english lit: A
    english lang: A
    physics: B
    chemistry: B
    maths: C

I am doing a levels in history, geography and politics and have predictions of A*A*A

i would reaaly appreciate if you could give me a straight answer whether you think I would have a chance?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you have a chance. Your GCSEs are fine, better than many successful Oxford applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawhopeful17)
    I am thinking about applying for the Classics course II 2018 entry. I'm nervous about devoting a lot of time on an application because I think my GCSE grades aren't strong enough. I got:

latin: A*
    geography: A*
    history: A*
    german: A
    english lit: A
    english lang: A
    physics: B
    chemistry: B
    maths: C

I am doing a levels in history, geography and politics and have predictions of A*A*A

i would reaaly appreciate if you could give me a straight answer whether you think I would have a chance?
    Who knows. Might as well give it a go. Those are high predicted grades, just apply and focus on getting them 'cause it won't be easy and the main difficulty people encounter is not their GCSEs but overinflated predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    People on here have got in with these grades. I think you should apply, especially since Classics is the least competitive course in numbers so you can likely make up for it at intervie

It's worth mentioning that Cambridge might be a better choice. From what I've recently found out by a google search ( this is for another subject so may be different for Classics) Oxford weigh things ( again this is another subject)

40% pre interview test
    25% written work
    17.5% contextualised GCSEs
    17.5% UCAS Form

I'm not sure whether UCAS form includes predicted grades and AS Levels, but even if it did A Levels would still be weighted less than GCSEs I think because the UCAS form also includes personal statement and reference :/ This is just what I think this information means, I know nothing about admissions so you're better of checking with the uni themselves.

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you got your GCSEs - was it a prestigious private school or just your average comprehensive. If the former, you'll be at a disadvantage but if you went to a comprehensive then you're in a good position. I don't know if Classics has an aptitude test but if so, that'll be more important anyway (at least to get an interview).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.