Is iCloud useless or am I? Techy help needed....

Watch
SophiaNeuning
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I've hit the age old problem of having no storage left on my iPhone, with my photos taking up the majority of space (other than the ever mysterious 'documents & data'. I have a lot of iCloud storage left so the answer seemed simple at first, delete all the photos from my phone, put them on USB, put them on my mac, and most importantly keep them safe in the iCloud.

However, apparently, if I delete them from my phone they are also deleted from iCloud? Apparently, iCloud isn't for extra storage that goes beyond what our little iPhones are for, it's instead for 'transferring' high quantities of data, or so I read on those rabbit hole like apple advice forums.

So if I delete photos from my phone, but keep them on my mac, they are regardless gone from the iCloud, is this correct? If there are payed for iCloud storage plans available it really seems like you should be able to manage what photos/media/etc you are keeping and where?

If this seems obvious to you TSRians, then yes I am this stupid, but please just offer me some advice on what I can do about my storage situation? It's 00:52, so it's literally keeping me up at night..
SophiaNeuning
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you, I will try and keep them safe on my mac. I had really hoped the iCloud would be a place of assurance, where I know they can be stored and if my mac and usb fails on me at least they'll be there. Annoyingly iCloud seems a bit watery and hard to nail down. I have 16gbs, cannot afford 32gb iPhone atm.
martaax
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have the same problem as you and I've read that Google Photos is a great alternative - it's free and has unlimited storage! I've had great experience using Google Drive for school work of various sizes so I think Google Photos will do the job. Just need to get down to downloading it first.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SophiaNeuning)
Hi,

I've hit the age old problem of having no storage left on my iPhone, with my photos taking up the majority of space (other than the ever mysterious 'documents & data'. I have a lot of iCloud storage left so the answer seemed simple at first, delete all the photos from my phone, put them on USB, put them on my mac, and most importantly keep them safe in the iCloud.

However, apparently, if I delete them from my phone they are also deleted from iCloud? Apparently, iCloud isn't for extra storage that goes beyond what our little iPhones are for, it's instead for 'transferring' high quantities of data, or so I read on those rabbit hole like apple advice forums.

So if I delete photos from my phone, but keep them on my mac, they are regardless gone from the iCloud, is this correct? If there are payed for iCloud storage plans available it really seems like you should be able to manage what photos/media/etc you are keeping and where?

If this seems obvious to you TSRians, then yes I am this stupid, but please just offer me some advice on what I can do about my storage situation? It's 00:52, so it's literally keeping me up at night..
Switch to Onedrive. You get 100GB free, and if you sync your phone's data with Onedrive, it will not disappear unless you go directly to one drive and delete it manually.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads