Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is iCloud useless or am I? Techy help needed.... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've hit the age old problem of having no storage left on my iPhone, with my photos taking up the majority of space (other than the ever mysterious 'documents & data'. I have a lot of iCloud storage left so the answer seemed simple at first, delete all the photos from my phone, put them on USB, put them on my mac, and most importantly keep them safe in the iCloud.

However, apparently, if I delete them from my phone they are also deleted from iCloud? Apparently, iCloud isn't for extra storage that goes beyond what our little iPhones are for, it's instead for 'transferring' high quantities of data, or so I read on those rabbit hole like apple advice forums.

So if I delete photos from my phone, but keep them on my mac, they are regardless gone from the iCloud, is this correct? If there are payed for iCloud storage plans available it really seems like you should be able to manage what photos/media/etc you are keeping and where?

If this seems obvious to you TSRians, then yes I am this stupid, but please just offer me some advice on what I can do about my storage situation? It's 00:52, so it's literally keeping me up at night..

ReputationRep:
    I don't any experience with iCloud but it would seem you are not able to delete your photos from your iPhone and store them in iCloud. Which makes Apple's implementation of a cloud system pretty shoddy.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-dele...them-in-iCloud

If you keep the photos on your Mac instead they may not disappear from iCloud. The above answer mentions that iCloud is designed to mirror all your other accounts. If the photo is available on some device it will remain in iCloud.

Failing that I would resort to another solution. If you don't need the photos accessible on your iPhone then leave them on your Mac. If you do need them but also need the free storage then consider using a free alternative cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive.

If you are in the unfortunate position where you own a 16GB iPhone this will only help so much. The storage will inevitably fill up again. If you own something with 32GB or more then consider if you seriously need all the data that's taking up space. 32GB is plenty for the average consumer so it's entirely possible you've got a lot of stuff that really doesn't need to be on your phone in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I don't any experience with iCloud but it would seem you are not able to delete your photos from your iPhone and store them in iCloud. Which makes Apple's implementation of a cloud system pretty shoddy.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-dele...them-in-iCloud

If you keep the photos on your Mac instead they may not disappear from iCloud. The above answer mentions that iCloud is designed to mirror all your other accounts. If the photo is available on some device it will remain in iCloud.

Failing that I would resort to another solution. If you don't need the photos accessible on your iPhone then leave them on your Mac. If you do need them but also need the free storage then consider using a free alternative cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive.

If you are in the unfortunate position where you own a 16GB iPhone this will only help so much. The storage will inevitably fill up again. If you own something with 32GB or more then consider if you seriously need all the data that's taking up space. 32GB is plenty for the average consumer so it's entirely possible you've got a lot of stuff that really doesn't need to be on your phone in the first place
    Thank you, I will try and keep them safe on my mac. I had really hoped the iCloud would be a place of assurance, where I know they can be stored and if my mac and usb fails on me at least they'll be there. Annoyingly iCloud seems a bit watery and hard to nail down. I have 16gbs, cannot afford 32gb iPhone atm.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem as you and I've read that Google Photos is a great alternative - it's free and has unlimited storage! I've had great experience using Google Drive for school work of various sizes so I think Google Photos will do the job. Just need to get down to downloading it first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaNeuning)
    Hi,

I've hit the age old problem of having no storage left on my iPhone, with my photos taking up the majority of space (other than the ever mysterious 'documents & data'. I have a lot of iCloud storage left so the answer seemed simple at first, delete all the photos from my phone, put them on USB, put them on my mac, and most importantly keep them safe in the iCloud.

However, apparently, if I delete them from my phone they are also deleted from iCloud? Apparently, iCloud isn't for extra storage that goes beyond what our little iPhones are for, it's instead for 'transferring' high quantities of data, or so I read on those rabbit hole like apple advice forums.

So if I delete photos from my phone, but keep them on my mac, they are regardless gone from the iCloud, is this correct? If there are payed for iCloud storage plans available it really seems like you should be able to manage what photos/media/etc you are keeping and where?

If this seems obvious to you TSRians, then yes I am this stupid, but please just offer me some advice on what I can do about my storage situation? It's 00:52, so it's literally keeping me up at night..
    Switch to Onedrive. You get 100GB free, and if you sync your phone's data with Onedrive, it will not disappear unless you go directly to one drive and delete it manually.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.