Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that I sent my application in September, but now one girl from my college, who I was consulting during creation of my Personal Statement, seems to copy several sentences from it. She has not sent her application yet. If she does and plagiarism is found, will it affect me? If it does, would it affect the offers I already got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justanick)
    The thing is that I sent my application in September, but now one girl from my college, who I was consulting during creation of my Personal Statement, seems to copy several sentences from it. She has not sent her application yet. If she does and plagiarism is found, will it affect me? If it does, would it affect the offers I already got?
    why would you even let her do that?! at least tell her to make the effort to paraphrase. if she starts copying stuff before she even APPLIES to a uni, how is she gonna manage it later?! copying is a big no-no!

ReputationRep:
    yes you both would get done for plagiarism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleH123)
    yes you both would get done for plagiarism
    Really? Even if I sent my application 4 months ago?

ReputationRep:
    Important notion - I am not on her side neither, however I do not control her.

Ok, so, if plagiarism is detected, will I be contacted by UCAS/universities?

ReputationRep:
    Really? Even if I sent my application 4 months ago?
    it doesn't matter when you applied, if they find her statement has plagiarised they'll get in touch with you about it. Just explain this to her.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't matter when you applied, if they find her statement has plagiarised they'll get in touch with you about it. Just explain this to her.
    Ok, thanks. How do you think, would it affect the offers I already have?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks. How do you think, would it affect the offers I already have?
    It doesn't matter. Just don't let it happen.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter. Just don't let it happen.
    Well, it certainly does! Firstly, I already got the offers I needed, so the other universities can think of me whatever they want. Secondly, I cannot control that girl! I can tell her to be more careful, but I cannot check, what she did at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it certainly does! Firstly, I already got the offers I needed, so the other universities can think of me whatever they want. Secondly, I cannot control that girl! I can tell her to be more careful, but I cannot check, what she did at the end of the day.
    If she applies with a similar statement, it will get caught and you both will be in trouble. Your offers could definitely be affected.

ReputationRep:
    If she applies with a similar statement, it will get caught and you both will be in trouble. Your offers could definitely be affected.
    Ok, thank you for these thoughts, I will try to fix the situation
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ok, thank you for these thoughts, I will try to fix the situation
    UCAS can't know who wrote it first - you could have copied and then sent your application earlier, but then she spent more time actually writing it so then applied later. So unfortunately for you they have to penalise both applicants.

However, unis get to decide their own punishments and you will get to explain your side of things. You may be able to provide evidence such as earlier drafts that show it was yours. They may decide to be lenient, or may not care too much if the rest of your application is also good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    UCAS can't know who wrote it first - you could have copied and then sent your application earlier, but then she spent more time actually writing it so then applied later. So unfortunately for you they have to penalise both applicants.

However, unis get to decide their own punishments and you will get to explain your side of things. You may be able to provide evidence such as earlier drafts that show it was yours. They may decide to be lenient, or may not care too much if the rest of your application is also good.
    Ok, thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.