Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do some people just dislike me, even though I have done nothing to them? Watch

I'm a very quiet person but a few say that I'm 'nice' , that it's impossible to fall out with me and that they 'don't know how anyone could have anything against me'. So that's a basic description of me by other people but obviously as anyone does I have many faults and if someone was very close to me I'm not denying that they might dislike me but I'm not talking about this, just about people who know me generally. I can be socially awkward/quiet and don't have the gift of the gab like a lot of females but I try to be nice and polite. Still I've found that several people seem to have something against me for example a girl back at college just randomly called me a 'thick b****' once because I made some mistake in a badminton game. I said to her it was only a game and she said 'don't give me lip I'l just punch you'. I ignored it but a few months later she tried to bully me a bit (if it is bullying I don't know i'l let you decide).

I was at a computor and she sat next to me, because she had no mouse she just snatched mine from under the mouse I was using and said 'thanks kate'. I ignored it as I thought she was after a fight (looking back I wished I'd have had one lol). I am able to control my anger enough so people can't even tell I'm angry. The thing is she didn't seem to be like this with anyone else she seemed nice with them and to respect them so why just me? I mean if I'd have 'stuck upfor myself' more I can't imagine her respecting me she would have just got at me more. She added me on Facebook a year later (though I hardly post anything) then during the school reunion she spoke a little and asked me to hold her drink while she went somewhere. Months later she then deleted me off Facebook yet still has all the other classmates on. I'm not bothered by this or anything but I'm just curious of the psychology behind people's behaviour. I feel a bit emotionally faded and don't take many things personally because I sort of feel people are insulting the person they perceive rather than me (if that makes sense) as I'm so quiet and don't reveal much of myself. Maybe I feel that by hiding my personality I'm sort of guarding myself in a way, although it's not a good thing as I don't have many friends.

Anyway I've found that a few people have been like this with me ie they seem to respect others and get on with other people but for some reason don't like me and have deleted me off Facebook despite leaving others on. I always wonder what I do to make people dislike me though, im far from perfect but I am very quiet and have never provoked arguments with these people.

Just wanted opinions/advice.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a fact that you are going to have to live with that not everyone will like you, and likewise you won't like everyone you meet. It's just way it is, sometimes there is no good reason for it. Sometimes it's because of people's actions, other times it's because of clashing personalities ect.

As you get older you'll stop caring, because it really just isn't important.

Focus on your friends and the people who do like you, not on those that don't.

ReputationRep:
    You win some, you lose some

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    It's just a fact that you are going to have to live with that not everyone will like you, and likewise you won't like everyone you meet. It's just way it is, sometimes there is no good reason for it. Sometimes it's because of people's actions, other times it's because of clashing personalities ect.

As you get older you'll stop caring, because it really just isn't important.

Focus on your friends and the people who do like you, not on those that don't.
    I am older ha I've just not figured people out yet, maybe I'm thinking too much into it. I do know some people though who are outgoing, popular extremely nice and everyone likes!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Some people just jump on a bandwagon to fit in without even knowing anything. People like that on this very site, actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am older ha I've just not figured people out yet, maybe I'm thinking too much into it. I do know some people though who are outgoing, popular extremely nice and everyone likes!
    Yes you are overthinking it.

And I assure you, not everyone likes them.

ReputationRep:
    All I can really say is.. is just same. Same. Same. Aaaaand same.
    • Political Ambassador

Can't be everybody's cup of tea, some people drink coffee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know people who appear like that but if you really look at it there are still people who don't like them - you just don't hear or see them. Nobody likes everyone and nobody is liked by everyone... some people find interpersonal relationships easier than others as well (like the people you're describing) but it's not the end of the world, providing you have some good friends don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    quiet people get bullied more at school

ReputationRep:
    Sighhh... you must be introverted so I can relate to some extent. Thing is some people perceive us to be something were not they might think you're stuck up or arrogant. Others just can't get over our initial barriers when they first meet us which means they'll start acting out.

Ones that do get past our barriers tend to become long-term friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    quiet people get bullied more at school
    Why does the guy in your DP look like SpiritSharD Mexican cousin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sae.HH)
    :laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I look at it this way - if someone doesn't like me, I assume that it's because we're different and have differing ideas regarding behaviour, dress sense or whatever it is they don't like about me, so we're not likely to get on anyways and it's no loss to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sae.HH)
    probs the lighting

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.