The Student Room Group

The best way to memorise?

What is the best way to memorise science GCSE or anything? I understand it and sometimes I just forget. Reading over it everyday will help but any other ways to keep it locked into your head ?
Creating mnemonics helped me, usually the more vulgar they are the easier they are to recall, especially if you find them funny.
I do a lot of language/key word stuff and find that writing it down again and again and again and again helps me. Also, I'll make up a kind of sing-song of the words, often with the meanings/definitions, and chant it (over and over and over and over). I usually end up rocking to the rhythm, too. Just be warned, other people can find it annoying! But it really helps me.

Another thing I do when I'm in the right frame of mind is what I call 'intensive reading'. Basically I sit down with a text book and just suuuuper concentrate on one paragraph. As in, stare at it hard and drum the words into your brain. Hard. Then move on to the next bit. It's tiring but can work if your brain's in the right mood.

Another very effective way (mostly for history-type background knowledge but would work for science) is to discuss it. Just keep talking about it/writing essays about it and your brain will automatically drop into the patterns of thinking that you've formed through this repetitive discussion. A way to incorporate this is when you have a spare couple of minutes (e.g. toilet) - create mental bullet points of a process/event and pretend to 'save' them in your brain. For some reason this helps when remembering it later . . . if you forget stuff, look it up and 'add' points to your list.

Try picturing this list (or just points in general) written down, as opposed to 'saying' them with that weird voice in your brain, or remembering them all jumbled up. When I'm trying to memorise something I sometimes picture a pen writing the phrase or whatever on a piece of paper and concentrate on what the phrase looks like written down.

Hope that helps!
Original post by Mistletoe
Creating mnemonics helped me, usually the more vulgar they are the easier they are to recall, especially if you find them funny.

Call me stupid but what does that mean? I searched it up and idgi
Original post by tennysons_maud
I do a lot of language/key word stuff and find that writing it down again and again and again and again helps me. Also, I'll make up a kind of sing-song of the words, often with the meanings/definitions, and chant it (over and over and over and over). I usually end up rocking to the rhythm, too. Just be warned, other people can find it annoying! But it really helps me.

Another thing I do when I'm in the right frame of mind is what I call 'intensive reading'. Basically I sit down with a text book and just suuuuper concentrate on one paragraph. As in, stare at it hard and drum the words into your brain. Hard. Then move on to the next bit. It's tiring but can work if your brain's in the right mood.

Another very effective way (mostly for history-type background knowledge but would work for science) is to discuss it. Just keep talking about it/writing essays about it and your brain will automatically drop into the patterns of thinking that you've formed through this repetitive discussion. A way to incorporate this is when you have a spare couple of minutes (e.g. toilet) - create mental bullet points of a process/event and pretend to 'save' them in your brain. For some reason this helps when remembering it later . . . if you forget stuff, look it up and 'add' points to your list.

Try picturing this list (or just points in general) written down, as opposed to 'saying' them with that weird voice in your brain, or remembering them all jumbled up. When I'm trying to memorise something I sometimes picture a pen writing the phrase or whatever on a piece of paper and concentrate on what the phrase looks like written down.

Hope that helps!

Omg it really did thanks a lot!!!!!
Original post by emerald7770
Omg it really did thanks a lot!!!!!

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest