Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just finished doing the unit 1 paper, what are your guys thoughts on this paper

ReputationRep:
    Meh, there are a few tricky questions (especially that last one) but overall its was ok wbu ?

ReputationRep:
    pretty easy exam fair to say, except that question where you have to talk about recessive and dominant in terms of M S Z alleles for alpha-1-antitrypsin, personally I think one of the highest grade boundaries biology unit 1 will have

ReputationRep:
    What was the answer of the last question ( the difficult part )?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the grade boundaries will be high, atleast lower than last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawan32455)
    I don't think the grade boundaries will be high, atleast lower than last year
    really! I hope so, many people in my center finished early, I finished and had 30mins left, and many people finished soon after no one was till the last bell, so I expected a high boundary, hey im fine with a grade boundary lower than last year (63/80) I don't think ill loose more than 10!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawan32455)
    What was the answer of the last question ( the difficult part )?
    the M S Z allele one? im not sure that question took me the longest, I came up with, M dominant, Z recessive, I said at first S is co-dominant but our teacher said no co dominant in a-level so I said s is recessive as well, a top student in our country (got 8a* in o level) said he wrote their all co-dominant and M was the most influential co-dominant then S then Z, im not sure tbh

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer to the question that asked why we would need a buffer solution?:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkb2050)
    what was the answer to the question that asked why we would need a buffer solution?:afraid:
    PH is a variable that affects the work rate of an enzyme, so if no buffer, ph can cause enzyme to denature, buffer acts as a controlled variable for the ph so the only variable present is enzyme concentration (which is what were testing or that's the reason we are doing the experiment)

ReputationRep:
    For the M S Z one I wrote M as dominant and S as recessive and Z as a mutant allele something sorta of like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaid Qaddourah)
    PH is a variable that affects the work rate of an enzyme, so if no buffer, ph can cause enzyme to denature, buffer acts as a controlled variable for the ph so the only variable present is enzyme concentration (which is what were testing or that's the reason we are doing the experiment)
    I think it was because of the presence of fatty acids in the solution.As tryglyceride were forming the fatty acids were reducing so the ph could alter as a result to that.to keep it a fair experiment buffer was used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waheed1998)
    I think it was because of the presence of fatty acids in the solution.As tryglyceride were forming the fatty acids were reducing so the ph could alter as a result to that.to keep it a fair experiment buffer was used
    yep that's another point overall idea was to not have ph as variable but as control variable as it would effect result

ReputationRep:
    Was the last questions answer 25 percent probability? The Question related osmosis,the rbcs ruptured in solution Q right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaid Qaddourah)
    the M S Z allele one? im not sure that question took me the longest, I came up with, M dominant, Z recessive, I said at first S is co-dominant but our teacher said no co dominant in a-level so I said s is recessive as well, a top student in our country (got 8a* in o level) said he wrote their all co-dominant and M was the most influential co-dominant then S then Z, im not sure tbh
    I wrote almost the same thing, though I think it's not co-dominance but incomplete dominance as they produce a blend of their phenotypes when the alleles are combined together

ReputationRep:
    Was the last questions answer 25 percent probability? The Question related osmosis,the rbcs ruptured in solution Q right?
    yep 25%

ReputationRep:
    does the jan 2017 bio unit 1 paper have an unofficial marking scheme?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    i think the rbcs shrink because of the spiky surface.

ReputationRep:
    can someone confirm wether the rbc shrink or burst . cause i assumed it shrink but a reasonable amount of my friend s are saying that it burst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahamed2000)
    can someone confirm wether the rbc shrink or burst . cause i assumed it shrink but a reasonable amount of my friend s are saying that it burst
    As far as my crappy memory goes it was shrink based on the solution concentration which the question stated in the giant paragraph above.

ReputationRep:
    Go to google, search 'rbc' shrink and 'rbc' burst respectively, u will find two different image,then u will know the answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.