Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I made a huge mistake by doing BTEC's instead of A levels, what can I do now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't informed as to what BTEC's were. I figured since you study 4 subjects in a levels, it's for people who hadn't decided on what they wanted to do in life. I also figured BTEC's were amazing and would propel me forward, as I study just 1 subject (IT). The teachers at the College fed me bs like you could get into the second year at uni right off the bat etc, and that's not true.

BTECs are not as valued as A levels, they're worth less UCAS points too.

Then I made my second mistake. I did a HNC (first year uni equivalent). Most uni's will absolutely not accept you into the second year. No matter what.

I've been accepted to Greenwhich, Middlesex, Westminister, Brunel and another uni in the past, but they all said I have to do the first year (for computing courses, same as my HNC). I've told all of them that I can't get financing for the first year as I already have a level four diploma, and student finance won't give me any assistance. I don't have £9,000 to repeat the exact same year. They wouldn't budge. They don't need me afterall so they're not going to make an exception for me.

So as a 22 year old now what can I do? I can't do apprenticeships since IT ones go upto level four, and I already have that so I can't qualify for those.

Can't find IT work without a degree, if even with one, and I can't get into uni because I don't have 9k to waste.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you're on about when you're talking about them not being as many UCAS points. A distinction* is an A*, a distinction is an A, a merit is a C and a pass is an E. It's not hard to find out. If you haven't been working hard and just thought passes were good enough, then that's nobody elses problem.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadikulRAM)
    I've told all of them that I can't get financing for the first year as I already have a level four diploma, and student finance won't give me any assistance.
    Are you sure about the funding? Afaik an HNC won't exclude you because you are allowed one extra year from SFE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't informed as to what BTEC's were. I figured since you study 4 subjects in a levels, it's for people who hadn't decided on what they wanted to do in life. I also figured BTEC's were amazing and would propel me forward, as I study just 1 subject (IT). The teachers at the College fed me bs like you could get into the second year at uni right off the bat etc, and that's not true.

Then I made my second mistake. I did a HNC (first year uni equivalent). Most uni's will absolutely not accept you into the second year. No matter what.

I've been accepted to Greenwhich, Middlesex, Westminister, Brunel and another uni in the past, but they all said I have to do the first year (for computing courses, same as my HNC). I've told all of them that I can't get financing for the first year as I already have a level four diploma, and student finance won't give me any assistance. I don't have £9,000 to repeat the exact same year. They wouldn't budge. They don't need me afterall so they're not going to make an exception for me.

So as a 22 year old now what can I do? I can't do apprenticeships since IT ones go upto level four, and I already have that so I can't qualify for those.

Can't find IT work without a degree, if even with one, and I can't get into uni because I don't have 9k to waste.
    Have you considered an Access to Higher Education course? It is a one year course with the specific goal of getting you to University.

I am also 22 and I did an Appenticeship (BTEC 2 & 3) after leaving school. The course was quite useless, I learnt more from the placement! I am now doing an Access course and hope to go to Uni this year.

You will be able to get an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the £3000 costs, which is wiped off if you complete a University degree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily237)
    Have you considered an Access to Higher Education course? It is a one year course with the specific goal of getting you to University.

I am also 22 and I did an Appenticeship (BTEC 2 & 3) after leaving school. The course was quite useless, I learnt more from the placement! I am now doing an Access course and hope to go to Uni this year.

You will be able to get an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the £3000 costs, which is wiped off if you complete a University degree.
    Access to HE isn't an option if OP already has an HNC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Are you sure about the funding? Afaik an HNC won't exclude you because you are allowed one extra year from SFE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lets see, I did my HNC, went into second year BSC (**** uni), uni messed up and put me on the wrong course. So I've already taken out 2 years of debt, so if I go the the first year that's my third, then 2nd is my fourth, and third year is my fifth of taking out a student loan.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Lets see, I did my HNC, went into second year BSC (**** uni), uni messed up and put me on the wrong course. So I've already taken out 2 years of debt, so if I go the the first year that's my third, then 2nd is my fourth, and third year is my fifth of taking out a student loan.
    Well that's different then. You will have to pay the 1st year of a new course if you start in Year 1.

New course length (3) + "gift year" (1) - HNC (1) - 2nd year of BSc not completed (1) = 2 years entitlement.

(It would have been helpful if you'd mentioned these circumstances in your OP )
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualif...course-details

They'll accept credit transfers from your HNC and you can study while based in London (restricting your options to london only will mean you don't have as many options).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.