The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

is it worth it??!

hi i am considering applying to do the combined arts course at durham. my GSCE's were : A*, A, AA, A, A*, A, B,B,B,C
a alevels should hopefully be AAAab ( one of the A's is one mark off an A and is being remarked)
ive heard that without a certain number of A* your not likely to stand a chance. i applied to do english lit deferred entry last year with predicted AAA and was rejected without interview
any honest advice would be helpfull.
Reply 1
ah yes, but the english dept is the best in the country, so it's a toughie to get in for.
i applied to durham the first time for classics with AAAA predicted and didn't get an offer (and waited til MAY to be rejected lol, nightmare) but i reapplied the next year for combined arts with my results and got in. it's a brilliant course, i'd definitely go for it with your results. they're not allowing any transferring from other courses into combined this year, so it might be slightly more popular from the start but i don't know for sure. i've never heard that gcses are an issue when it comes to combined arts, i would say it was more a personal statement thing, if you genuinely had an interest in more than one subject etc. go for it! :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
my friend got 17 A*s and she was rejected :s
As far as I know most departments in Durham don't interview. With those grades and a good personal statement you've probably got a good chance of an offer, so go for it! You have nothing to lose but your UCAS application fee.

TKR

Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to do that many GCSEs, let alone A* them all. :eek:
Reply 4
TKR

Somone I know, who's friend's brother's dog got 14 A*s and 6 As and grade 8 in three instruments (and was captain of a rugby team) still didn't get in.

GCSE grades are probably one of the least important things they consider, if you have a shocking list of grades from GCSE but somehow manage to get all the As needed at AS they'd at least be intrigued, look at your personal statement and take it from there. They are most concerned with the most recent results, which would be AS grades and A2 predicitions, and what you and your teachers have to say about you.
Reply 5
cheerios
hi i am considering applying to do the combined arts course at durham. my GSCE's were : A*, A, AA, A, A*, A, B,B,B,C
a alevels should hopefully be AAAab ( one of the A's is one mark off an A and is being remarked)
ive heard that without a certain number of A* your not likely to stand a chance. i applied to do english lit deferred entry last year with predicted AAA and was rejected without interview
any honest advice would be helpfull.

I would say it's worth it. As the disgustingly overused phrase goes; you don't know unless you try! WRT the A*'s thingy, I would think that isn't true. I only had 1.5, and ABBB at AS and still got in. (Although this was for Law). So, I suppose it's just a case of making sure everything that is now in your control; personal statement etc, is top notch, and a little bit of praying. (If you're that way inclined.)
Reply 6
The people with 5 million A*s probably didn't get in because as they are excessively boring, and Durham want interesting people who DO things aside from work! Just an idea. Now waiting to face a barrage of abuse.

Offer for Combined Arts is AAB, they are not judgy about GCSEs, it's only departments like History and English that are snooty about that.
English combined with something else is quite a common choice, if you're reapplying and you're serious about Combined Arts, I'd devote a little section in your PS about the other subject you want to do and the importance of interdisciplinary study, how it is beneficial to understanding of the subjects, blah blah blah.

Latest