Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you do with your mobile phone when you are driving? Do you put it on silent? Do you put it out of reach? Do you keep it in reach? Do you put it in the centre console (or somewhere else)? Do you have a hands-free station for it?

Do you ever use it whilst driving? If so, is it when you are moving or stationary? If not, why not? Is it because it is illegal? Is it because you don't want to get caught? Is it because it is dangerous? Is it because the phone is a pain and it's a good excuse to get away from it?

Please answer honestly. I am genuinely interested in how you guys deal with the mobile phone issue when in the car. Please don't quote the law - we all know it - or what the media says - they don't know what they are talking about. I am interested in your views.

Thank in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    What do you do with your mobile phone when you are driving? Do you put it on silent? Do you put it out of reach? Do you keep it in reach? Do you put it in the centre console (or somewhere else)? Do you have a hands-free station for it?

Do you ever use it whilst driving? If so, is it when you are moving or stationary? If not, why not? Is it because it is illegal? Is it because you don't want to get caught? Is it because it is dangerous? Is it because the phone is a pain and it's a good excuse to get away from it?

Please answer honestly. I am genuinely interested in how you guys deal with the mobile phone issue when in the car. Please don't quote the law - we all know it - or what the media says - they don't know what they are talking about. I am interested in your views.

Thank in advance
    Bluetooth paired for handsfree telehone use, kept on charge and left face down in centre console.

If using it as a music source (e.g. via an Aux cable) put in a cradle (but even then it can be rather distracting so be v v careful...).

And a cradle is essential if you are using it for navigation.

ReputationRep:
    Connect it via Bluetooth so I can use the car's handsfree system, then put the phone in my pocket and leave it there. People that text whilst moving or even in short traffic are scum.

ReputationRep:
    Never use phone while moving. If I need to check directions/missed call etc I'll pull in to do so. If I'm using the phone for satnav or music I connect it via Bluetooth and set it in the centre console screen-down so that the screen can't distract me (just use voice directions for navigation).

The only time I have ever used the phone whilst the engine is running is when the handbrake is applied, car in neutral, and it's quite clear the traffic is going nowhere any time soon, i.e. stand-still traffic on a long stretch of road that is stationary for 10+ mins, or when parked. NOT traffic lights or your usual queues. And that's only in emergency situations.

Absolutely would never text and drive at the same time. So, SO dangerous, and needlessly selfish. Just pull in!!
    If someone else is in the car with me, I'll ask them to take incoming calls for me, so I don't need to concentrate on what they're saying nor juggle the device. Otherwise it's left alone—unnecessary distractions. And again—only in dire situations, such as to tell an expectant party there's been a problem, or to call services.

I don't care if your car is going 1mph, if it's moving (and/or in gear) you're asking for trouble by using your phone.

EDIT: Same applies to other distractions such as a drink or food. If I feel the need to snack I'll park up safely.

ReputationRep:
    If i'm using it for navigation i have it in a cradle. If I know where i'm going then I put the music on and put it in the centre =)

ReputationRep:

Thank in advance
    My phone is usually on silent and in the centre console. The only time I would use my phone is if my car isn't moving, so when it's parked ! If I do happen to get a phone call/text whilst I'm driving, I ignore it until I'm parked up in a suitable place to reply or if I'm actually out of the car !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I turn it off, or onto silent. I'd never use it while driving unless it was an emergency (A) because it's dangerous (and not just a little bit dangerous, especially for those idiots who text while they're driving) and (B) because I value my driving license, and new drivers only have to get caught twice before they can lose their license for it.

As a side note, eating or drinking can also get you stopped if it's impairing your ability to drive safely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sek510i)
    I turn it off, or onto silent. I'd never use it while driving unless it was an emergency (A) because it's dangerous (and not just a little bit dangerous, especially for those idiots who text while they're driving) and (B) because I value my driving license, and new drivers only have to get caught twice before they can lose their license for it.

As a side note, eating or drinking can also get you stopped if it's impairing your ability to drive safely.
    Starting from today it is just only once your license will be done.(If you are new) I really think mobile while driving is dangerous. I once sit in a taxi and driver uses mobile the whole way along and nearly hit a car in front because the driver didn't notice the car has slow down in front of him. I shouted a bit and the driver told be I am making a big fuss of it.... bloody hell it is just scary for me. I think driver using it on waiting lights is also unacceptable. They tends to oblivious to the change of traffic lights and require other people to beep them or they just wasting people precious time....
    Spoiler:
    Show

I tried once using phone when walking and nearly hit a lampost, I then never bother to try it again......

ReputationRep:
    I never use my phone at the wheel. Obviously it's illegal, but I know for a fact I can't drive safely while using it, so I don't. The only time I'll ever be using it while driving is with hands free to call the police.

ReputationRep:

Thank in advance
    Mines usually just in my pocket. I dont use it while driving.
    But my new car has the bluetooth thing so my phone is connected to that, so i can answer calls through that when it rings. Not that they do very often, and im used to not using it while driving anyway (due to my previous cars not having the bluetooth).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.