Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really unsure what Durham college to pick in terms of which will give me the fewest troubles.

I already have picked Collingwood but I did the Student Finance calculator (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator) and my maintenance loan is pretty low. I would have to work for 7 months (of my part time job) to pay the rest of my accommodation fee (of £ 7,171 per year).

However it is fully catered so I don't have to pay for food?...

And there's St Cuthbert's which is closer to my course department (philosophy) but it is self catered.
    I only have to work have a month to pay the rest of my accommodation.
    But assuming the cost of food is £30 per week... it would cost £1080 per uni year? so I'd have to work 4 months.

Would it be better to go with St Cuthbert's?

I'm not entitled for any bursary's of scholarships also.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aish30)
    I am really unsure what Durham college to pick in terms of which will give me the fewest troubles.

I already have picked Collingwood but I did the Student Finance calculator (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator) and my maintenance loan is pretty low. I would have to work for 7 months (of my part time job) to pay the rest of my accommodation fee (of £ 7,171 per year).

However it is fully catered so I don't have to pay for food?...

And there's St Cuthbert's which is closer to my course department (philosophy) but it is self catered.
    I only have to work have a month to pay the rest of my accommodation.
    But assuming the cost of food is £30 per week... it would cost £1080 per uni year? so I'd have to work 4 months.

Would it be better to go with St Cuthbert's?

I'm not entitled for any bursary's of scholarships also.
    The catered accommodation is more expensive than the self catered, often by a larger amount than you'll spend on buying your own food. So by going self catered, you'll save money.

You'll enjoy life at any of the colleges, everyone becomes immersed in their own college spirit (plus you don't really need to take the distance into account as Durham is tiny) so if you're worried about money, go self catered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    The catered accommodation is more expensive than the self catered, often by a larger amount than you'll spend on buying your own food. So by going self catered, you'll save money.

You'll enjoy life at any of the colleges, everyone becomes immersed in their own college spirit (plus you don't really need to take the distance into account as Durham is tiny) so if you're worried about money, go self catered
    Thanks! I think in the end it was better to go for a self catered college because I will have more money to allocate effectively

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone knows if all Durham colleges do the college family thing? I just really like that idea and would like to be part of a college that does it. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.