Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Name:  14839576657781770128893.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  274.7 KB for q 2 , my reactions are not stated in the Mark scheme, is it still valid ? Attachment 609880609882 thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Knowledge of your spec is important, but I'll bet the answer is:

propane + chlorine + uv _>

then chloropropane + NaOH + ethanol ->

Anyhoo... your step 1 was wrong, for a number of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Name:  14839576657781770128893.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  274.7 KB for q 2 , my reactions are not stated in the Mark scheme, is it still valid ? Attachment 609880609882 thanks
    How exactly do you dehydrate propane?

And you second step would need a reaction which has Anti-Markovnikov selectivity, if not you form mostly propan-2-ol. Something like hydroboration.

Try a different route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    ...you form mostly propan-2-ol.
    Strictly, the Q in the OP only asks for propanol and doesn't specify which one.

But you were correct, the OP shows -1- being formed, which virtually wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    How exactly do you dehydrate propane?

And you second step would need a reaction which has Anti-Markovnikov selectivity, if not you form mostly propan-2-ol. Something like hydroboration.

Try a different route.
    Can't you use concentrated H3PO4 to dehydrate the alkane to form an alkene though? Why does that not work?Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Can't you use concentrated H3PO4 to dehydrate the alkane to form an alkene though? Why does that not work?Cheers
    What's produced in a dehydration reaction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    What's produced in a dehydration reaction?
    Sorry yeah, dehydration wouldn't work as the water molecule is removed isn't it

ReputationRep:
    Dehydration is the removal of water from something. There is no oxygen in propane to make water.

You can dehydrate an alcohol to an alkene (but since you're trying to make an alcohol, that isn't smart).

You can dehydrogenate an alkane to make an alkene, but I'm not sure if it is on any A level spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Dehydration is the removal of water from something. There is no oxygen in propane to make water.

You can dehydrate an alcohol to an alkene (but since you're trying to make an alcohol, that isn't smart).

You can dehydrogenate an alkane to make an alkene, but I'm not sure if it is on any A level spec.
    Thanks

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.