Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have recently got a job at weatherspoons. However, another pub contacted me and offered me a job with them. This other pub is one of my favourite places and I have tried to get a job there for a few months.

Weatherspoons interviewed me, gave me the job and gave me a date for my induction. So, of course I agreed and today is the induction day. However tomorrow I have a trial at the other pub and if all goes well they will offer me a job which I would really like to accept.

I'm in a bit of a pickle as I don't know what to say to spoons? I feel like a time waster and an awful person for it but others have told me that I have to choose the job that suits me?

My friend is a shift leader at spoons and he is the one that hooked me up with a job, he spoke to his boss and got me the interview. I hated my previous job, at Morrisons, and he knew this so did everything he could to help me out. I now feel so bad about leaving, what am I suppose to do/say?? Is it wrong to go to the induction and then quit?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you!

I would go for the better job. Having a better job his higher priority than offending the odd person. I have turned down a really crap job in the past because something better came up. I felt absolutely no guilt for it in anyway. Employees are easy to replace so you wont be putting your current employer out too much anyway.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Laomedeia)
      I would go for the better job. Having a better job his higher priority than offending the odd person. I have turned down a really crap job in the past because something better came up. I felt absolutely no guilt for it in anyway. Employees are easy to replace so you wont be putting your current employer out too much anyway.
      Thank you! You're totally right! I'm gonna attend my induction at spoons, just incase I don't get a job at the other place, what shall I say to spoons if I do get another job?? Finding this all so difficult!

(Original post by Jellybeant)
        Thank you! You're totally right! I'm gonna attend my induction at spoons, just incase I don't get a job at the other place, what shall I say to spoons if I do get another job?? Finding this all so difficult!
        I would tell them the truth, that you were offered a higher paying job. What normal mortal would choose a lower paid job than one that pays more. Its a good idea to thank them for giving you the opportunity and apologise for the inconvenience. Beyond that I cant see what else there is to say. The situation is what it is. I wouldnt turn down better offers just to save face. But like you said, try the other job 1st just in case things dont work out.

Another way to look at it is that they would be quick enough to replace you if they saw fit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.