Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Majority of German women feel less safe in public Watch

58% of German women believe that public places are less secure today than they used to be. 31 % do not see any change, while only 10 % feel safer, according to a survey conducted by the opinion research institute Emnid among women for "Bild am Sonntag" (BamS).

48% say they avoid certain areas in their place of residence when it is dark. 16% now carry pepper spray with them when they are on their own after dark, and this rises to 32% amongst 14 to 29 year old women. As many people are thinking about getting a pepper spray. Over half of 14-39 year old women want to do so.

The Emnid survey also shows that women estimate the immigration from Islamic countries as rather negative for their security situation. 44% of the women surveyed believe that their personal security situation will deteriorate as a result of the immigration of persons from Islamic countries. 43% say they remain unchanged.

http://www.focus.de/politik/deutschl...d_6461728.html

Note: this only represents the feeling of safety, rather than actual chances of safety. It does not necessarily reflect crime statistics. For example, crimes (or at least. reported crimes) could be decreasing. The main issue seems to be groups of refugees leering/wolfwhistling at women in public places, rather than actually assaulting them.

It is worrying to see Germans becoming more prejudiced. While the media in Germany is careful not to stir up trouble, social media is increasingly a platform for hatred and xenophobia.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like an extra pair of arms, I'd change my name to Forewarned 8-)

ReputationRep:
    At least the pepper spray business is booming

(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    At least the pepper spray business is booming
    Its actually technically illegal to carry pepperspray with the intent to use on humans; the legal loophole is that it is for protection against wild animals.

ReputationRep:
    We need to protect the natives. Round all the migrants up and send them home, no excuses.

ReputationRep:
    Germans I know think das Bild is about as reputable as the Daily Mail in the UK. And there aren't any immigrants standing on street corners wolf whistling. Racism is just doing the same as it is in the UK... it's still a minority, they have just become a slightly more mainstream minority as they can now blame whatever they fancy on the 'immigrants'. It's a big problem but I think that article sounds like garbage. Most women would generally avoid dark alleys/parks if they're alone (and I'd imagine plenty of men too) and I sincerely doubt 1/3 of young German women are carrying pepper spray...

ReputationRep:
    Lol I am German, female and from Berlin and I can assure you that women don't feel significantly less or more safe in public. And the Bild Zeitung is similar to Daily Mail or Sun as doodle_333 said and I totally agree to his/her opinion.
    The point is, don't quote newspapers or studies without researching their credibility I'd suggest.

(Original post by elnino1.0)
    Lol I am German, female and from Berlin and I can assure you that women don't feel significantly less or more safe in public. And the Bild Zeitung is similar to Daily Mail or Sun as doodle_333 said and I totally agree to his/her opinion.
    The point is, don't quote newspapers or studies without researching their credibility I'd suggest.
    I'm aware Bild is a PoS newspaper, but the survey was carried out by Emnid, which is one of the largest opinion research instititutes in Germany. Would you be so ready to dismiss their findings?

I happen to have family in Germany, and most of them (who I have asked) say they feel less safe. So forgive me if I believe a major research institute's findings over some anonymous student's words online.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we need more of those "Don't Touch/Rape me" wristbands...

What a ****ing surprise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Its actually technically illegal to carry pepperspray with the intent to use on humans; the legal loophole is that it is for protection against wild animals.
    Which is exactly what they are protecting themselves from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.