The Student Room Group

applying for dsa, dyslexia assessment and a £513 fee!!!

aaagh im freaking out now

every avenue ive been down has hit a dead end.
im applying for 2017 entry for university (i know times getting short)

ucas and all that good stuff is dont but ive been told i need a new dyslexia assessment done for a dsa application for uni. my college is just refusing to have anything to do with it as they accept my old phyc reports so say its nothing to do with them. non of the unis will disclose their info to people who arnt current student and even the NUS havent replied to my emails.

the only response ive had is from dyslexia action who want me to pay 513 pounds for a dyslexia assessment (among other things like adhd screening ect)

anyone been through this and have any tips on getting funding for this?

thankyouuuu
When was your last Dyslexia assessment? It has to be post 16 for DSA.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
When was your last Dyslexia assessment? It has to be post 16 for DSA.

i was in like year 5 so very pre 16, sadly.
Hi, Jow97. :smile:

I recently had a screening at my University, and had a diagnosis of ADHD and Asperger's.
The funding for the assessment was £290 overall but Student Finance England paid £190 towards it, meaning I only had to pay £100. You can normally ask the University's learning support team for advice and to book a screening through SFE. This is what I did.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Teenaging
Hi, Jow97. :smile:

I recently had a screening at my University, and had a diagnosis of ADHD and Asperger's.
The funding for the assessment was £290 overall but Student Finance England paid £190 towards it, meaning I only had to pay £100. You can normally ask the University's learning support team for advice and to book a screening through SFE. This is what I did.

Hope this helps!

It does thank you, just relay hoped i could have the dsa assessment done before i started as i know it can take a fair amount of time to process :/
there is a lot of support available from your uni to come. unless you need loads of special equipment you may be better off just using their equipment ect.
I waited till I got to uni, I spoke with the student services and had to fill a form and had a meeting with the person who dealt with disabilities about my problems. They got a assessment sorted for me, which i did not pay for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozzielizzie
I waited till I got to uni, I spoke with the student services and had to fill a form and had a meeting with the person who dealt with disabilities about my problems. They got a assessment sorted for me, which i did not pay for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also did this although I had to pay the upfront cost they reimbursed me when my test showed I was Dyslexic.

Getting a test before hand wasn't even an option for me as I was out of education for a few years. I would suggest talking to the uni you're looking at applying too in order to see their support.

Quick Reply

Latest