Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2. Overwhelmed. Crying. PS. Watch

I'm unsure why I'm even posting on here. I just feel so stressed right now. I have a mountain of work I need shift through and at the rate that I'm going I'm not gonna pass my A-levels. Currently, staring at this personal statement I havent finished. I didnt go to school today to finish it off and it's not going anwhere. Missed my mock today because I didnt feel ready for it. I'm just at the breaking point
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm unsure why I'm even posting on here. I just feel so stressed right now. I have a mountain of work I need shift through and at the rate that I'm going I'm not gonna pass my A-levels. Currently, staring at this personal statement I havent finished. I didnt go to school today to finish it off and it's not going anwhere. Missed my mock today because I didnt feel ready for it. I'm just at the breaking point
    It can be fairly stressful at this point, so I don't blame you.

And ts difficult to focus, hence why what's happened today has.

Is there any form of support that your school can offer you? Maybe a teacher who can help you etc etc. Or even particular advice or questions that you have on your PS.

The challenge is that the opening and ending of the PS are very tricky to write, and it feels like if you can't write the start then you can't start on anything else, however it may be beneficial to list the points you want to make on your ps (literature, relevant work experience of applicable, lectures, summer schools etc) and then turn them into the middle paragraphs. This will help you make a start

And take it easy as well, have breaks, eat, drink etc. Don't stare at it for hours.

Hi,

I know how you feel as I am going through a similar thing. However, I'm much older and am struggling to finish off my thesis, apply for med school etc. What really helps me is to make a to do list (but not full of big, scary things). Break it down so you feel rewarded for doing even the smallest things (because by doing small things, big things happen). Some of my to do list for today consisted of:
    1) sit down to do some work
    2) open laptop and relevant documents
    3) put headphones in and listen to calming music
    4) write one paragraph (don't worry about quality).

I then tick off anything I've achieved as I do them. Maybe try this. So the first few points could be the same for you too. For your personal statement, you could break it down to very simple things:
    1) Write down the name of the course you're applying to.
    2) Why do you want to do this course (in very simple words, not worrying about quality at this point)
    3) Write down ANY ideas/ thoughts you have surrounding the course/ your A level subjects/ work experience.
    4) Not caring about quality, fill an A4 sheet, where you write without fear.

You can then worry about qualityat another time as you will feel less stressed (having achieved something already).

I hope this helps. If you decide to give this a try, you could do something similar with you a levels. Finally, it is okay and you are not alone. Everything seems unachievable until you actually start taking small steps towards your goal. Don't let your fear let you think you can't do something. By taking small steps, show your mind that you can infact achieve your goals little by little.

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.