The Student Room Group

Meryl Streep criticizes Trump during acceptance speech

Meryl Streep used her platform during Sunday night's Golden Globes to voice her concerns and grievance with President-Elect Trump and his recent "performance" during the presidential campaign.

During her passionate and emotional speech she highlighted that Trump's attitude and recent actions has given others "permission" to act in a similar way. Trump responded via twitter calling Streep a a Hillary lover.

You can read more on the story here.

Do you think Meryl has a point? Do you think she should have left her political views at home? Or do you think it was the perfect platform?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even if she did have a point (and at this point, my brain has been so mushed by the post-election vacuousness that I don't even care) she didn't add anything to the conversation that a million other people haven't already said in no fewer than three different ways.

Just shut up, take your award and go home without telling everyone how great you are. Why is that so hard?
Reply 3
I love Meryl and she's a great actress and a wonderful person but this really wasn't the time or place to go about this.

But once again Trump's response is less than elegant
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Danny Dorito
Meryl Streep used her platform during Sunday nights Golden Globes to voice her concerns and grievance with President elect Trump and his recent "performance" during the presidential campaign.

During her passionate and emotional speech she highlighted that Trump's attitude and recent actions has given others "permission" to act in a similar way. Trump responded via twitter calling Streep a a Hillary lover.

Do you think Meryl has a point? Do you think she should have left her political views at home? Or do you think it was the perfect platform?

I think she was right.

Not about the whole foreigner thing. I'm indian myself, but I think Trump wanting to expedite illegal immigrants is not wrong.

But what kind of a sick man makes fun of a disabled reporter? Is this really the kind of values USA wants to showcase to the rest of the world?

I am by no means saying he's better than Hillary, but the fact remains, IT STILL DOESN'T MAKE HIM GOOD.

And to all those people saying that celebrities should stay out of politics, well, so should businessmen.

People tend to forget that celebrities have every right to express their political leanings, just as every average citizen does. The only difference is, you have social media, they have live international television.

The principles are the same. If you can express it on a public domain, they can express it too, it's just that more people are exposed to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
This is her opinion and in all honesty who cares about an actresses opinion on politics. Her opinion has no more solidity than the next person....and all based on what she reads in the gutter press.
Original post by nutz99
This is her opinion and in all honesty who cares about an actresses opinion on politics. Her opinion has no more solidity than the next person....and all based on what she reads in the gutter press.

Not wrong though.
Reply 7
Original post by cbreef
Not wrong though.
Its an opinion. There is no right or wrong. In my opinion this was the wrong time and place to bring this up.

Also in my opinion Trump did nothing wrong in the way he did an impression of that reporter. The idiotic PC brigade are effectively saying its ok to mimic anyone except if they are disabled. A disabled person has no more rights than a non-disabled person. No-one would be batting an eyelid if he had mimicked Clinton for example.
Reply 8
Original post by nutz99
Its an opinion. There is no right or wrong. In my opinion this was the wrong time and place to bring this up.

Also in my opinion Trump did nothing wrong in the way he did an impression of that reporter. The idiotic PC brigade are effectively saying its ok to mimic anyone except if they are disabled. A disabled person has no more rights than a non-disabled person. No-one would be batting an eyelid if he had mimicked Clinton for example.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you completely!! Trump mocking Hilary is nowhere near the same as him mocking a disabled person. Trump criticised Clinton for her opinions and actions, both of which Clinton has control over. A disabled person has little to no control over their mental and/or physical disability. Therefore, it is sickening and unjustified to berate them over something they have no control over. It's quite shocking that you would think that there are no distinctions between the two!!
Reply 9
Original post by Lh030396
I'm sorry but I disagree with you completely!! Trump mocking Hilary is nowhere near the same as him mocking a disabled person. Trump criticised Clinton for her opinions and actions, both of which Clinton has control over. A disabled person has little to no control over their mental and/or physical disability. Therefore, it is sickening and unjustified to berate them over something they have no control over. It's quite shocking that you would think that there are no distinctions between the two!!
You obviously don't watch too many comedians who openly mimic people with disabilities. For example Stephen Hawking and Pete Bennett.

You use the word mocking yet I use the word mimicking. There is a huge difference.
Original post by nutz99
You obviously don't watch too many comedians who openly mimic people with disabilities. For example Stephen Hawking and Pete Bennett.

You use the word mocking yet I use the word mimicking. There is a huge difference.

The key word there is "comedian". It's not like they're running for the job as leader of the most powerful country on Earth.
(edited 7 years ago)
She has the freedom to criticise Trump just as he as the right to post some rather pointless & occasionally bonkers statements on Twitter.
Original post by Tempest II
She has the freedom to criticise Trump just as he as the right to post some rather pointless & occasionally bonkers statements on Twitter.

What do you mean occasionally?
Original post by nutz99

Yes, I'm well aware of comedians who mimic disabled people. Personally, I don't class that as comedy and these comedians get their fair share of public backlash as a result. And do you really think it appropriate for the President of the United States to act like a clown?!

It doesn't matter if it was mimicking or mocking. It was still done in a detrimental way. Trump was 'mimicking' a person's physicality to single that person out as an oddity. That is completely unacceptable. It's cruel, demeaning, pathetic and weak-minded. Plus it had absolutely NOTHING to do with Trump's presidential campaign...
Original post by Danny Dorito
Meryl Streep used her platform during Sunday night's Golden Globes to voice her concerns and grievance with President-Elect Trump and his recent "performance" during the presidential campaign.

With regards to the comments themselves the time for her to say these things was 3 months ago, she just looks like a bad loser now (like the Snats, Remoaners ect..).

With regards to her celebrity influencing politics i think to Trump supporters she probably does more harm than good. Many people are frankly sick of well off people telling them how they should think and what they should do and one suspects that she has made few speeches about the white folk who are struggling.
Boo hoo he can do the same to her, can't he?

How this even makes it as 'controversial' is beyond me. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Yes, I'm well aware of comedians who mimic disabled people. Personally, I don't class that as comedy and these comedians get their fair share of public backlash as a result. And do you really think it appropriate for the President of the United States to act like a clown?!
Considering he's following a succession of four clowns I don't think its unusual.

It doesn't matter if it was mimicking or mocking. It was still done in a detrimental way. Trump was 'mimicking' a person's physicality to single that person out as an oddity. That is completely unacceptable. It's cruel, demeaning, pathetic and weak-minded. Plus it had absolutely NOTHING to do with Trump's presidential campaign...
It was done in such a way that the audience would know who he was mimicking. Words alone sometimes don't get a message over.

I still say that Streep bringing this up now is simply a poor losers attitude. All this happened back in November 2015. If she felt that bad about it then she should have said something then. Who really gives a toss about the opinion of overpaid celebrities who live in their mansions and have no concept of the real world.
Original post by cbreef
What do you mean occasionally?

I don't really pay attention to them to be honest. Some of the stuff he's said about defence contractors makes sense but most of it's just posturing.
Original post by nutz99

Sorry, for some reason I thought the November 8th elections were there to elect the new US President, not a comedian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending