Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Meryl Streep criticizes Trump during acceptance speech watch

ReputationRep:
    The point about the number of people from outside the US who work in the film industry and the impact if they all left is a valid one. Though what would probably happen is that more films would be made outside the US.

ReputationRep:
    “Disrespect invites disrespect, violence invites violence. When the powerful use their position to bully others we all lose.”

Why are people annoyed that Meryl spoke about what the majority of us are thinking about? Is it disputed that Trump did what he was accused of doing? Is it disputed that his actions are shameful? Is it disputed that we have a moral obligation to speak out against injustice and bullying?

So because she used her platform to speak out, she is branded a "Hillary lover." Was this about Hillary or about Trump's continuous childish behavior? What does this have to do with the election? How are the two connected? Even if Hillary had won, Trump would still be on the receiving end of criticism, because lets face it, he makes it easy to be criticized.

Speaking out against Trump when he is wrong is not a political issue; it is a moral obligation on adults presumed to be of sound mind.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

I'm here for Meryl and everyone who must keep Trump in check otherwise the next 4 years with this Trump will truly be a test of everything that the USA truly stands for and that is very scary.

Keep gathering Trump!

ReputationRep:
    Trump says Streep is overrated.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ce-speech.html

I wonder which is more credible - that Streep is overrated, or that Trump is a complete and utter jerk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    The point about the number of people from outside the US who work in the film industry and the impact if they all left is a valid one. Though what would probably happen is that more films would be made outside the US.
    Loads are made outside the US - Britain is a particular favourite for making Hollywood films.

It will be interesting to see if Trump raises this with Theresa and Boris, perhaps Star Wars will not be permitted to have its usual British cast if his plans go ahead.

I wonder what will happen to the Scotch whisky, shortbread, Pringle clothes and top quality Scottish smoked salmon that so many well heeled Americans rely on under the new Trump Doctrine? Perhaps Nicola will have to make an emergency intervention.

ReputationRep:
    There was nothing good about it, but it did its job. It kind of broke my heart when I saw it, and I still can't get it out my head because it wasn’t in a movie, it was in real life. That instinct to humiliate when it’s modeled by someone in a public platform, it filters down into everyone’s life because it gives permission for others to do the same.
    The voice of Meryl Streep was the light that reminded that orange buffoon to please think at least twice when he humiliates someone who may or may not be disabled.

The mouthpiece's knack of not taking responsibility for his actions even in the face of damning evidence will only make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    I think she was right.

But what kind of a sick man makes fun of a disabled reporter? Is this really the kind of values USA wants to showcase to the rest of the world?
    If you had bothered to carry out your own research on the whole "bullied a disabled reporter" claim, you would have discovered its falsehood.

Trump's mannerism is actually one of his quirks.

Here is a video from Fox News. It shows Trump making the very same gesticulations when criticising a US general, Senator Ted Cruz, and others.

And let me remind you that CNN was at the very forefront of the accusations towards Trump - the same news network that claimed the 4 black thugs/torturers were simply poor-educated kids and that we shouldn't coin the incident as a hate crime.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I don't think she made any particularly insightful point and it was a bizarre platform to voice her concerns.
    That said, Trump's response to her was a little immature.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah trump is a scum bag but did this actress say anything about economic inequality that will effect disabled people who are not wealthy enough to have the best healthcare? You can;t just all of sudden start being political now trump is gonna be in charge and not the centrist liberals. If they don;t critique american capitalism it is just empty identity politics.

ReputationRep:
    Who on Earth does she think she is, insulting the President-elect like that? Left-wing celebrities need to learn that the world does not revolve around them. Your country wanted Trump, accept it, move on, and support him.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Meryl Streep's speech was beautiful, and I'm glad that someone like her, one of the most powerful people in Hollywood, is willing to speak up. It would be far too easy to just ignore Trump's all-around douchebaggery, bigotry, and bullying of people less powerful than him.

ReputationRep:
    Think it's really inappropriate for a thread made by TSR to be edited to "What do you think of Meryl's strop" by TSR in the "Today on TSR" section. Really disrespectful and negative saying strop... like what she said wasn't extremely well-delivered and thought out (whether you disagree with her or not)... she's entitled to express her opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    If you had bothered to carry out your own research on the whole "bullied a disabled reporter" claim, you would have discovered its falsehood.

Here is a video from Fox News. It shows Trump making the very same gesticulations when criticising a US general, Senator Ted Cruz, and others.

And let me remind you that CNN was at the very forefront of the accusations towards Trump - the same news network that claimed the 4 black thugs/torturers were simply poor-educated kids and that we shouldn't coin the incident as a hate crime.
    They aren't the same gestures at all. In those clips, he is mocking the vagueness of the response of various officials. In the disabled reporter clip, he is using a grossly offensive stereotyped depiction of a disabled person's movements. It couldn't be plainer.

Also interesting to note in the first of those clips that he condemns the lack of regulation on the big banks - that must explain why he is filling his cabinet and senior government posts with bankers - perhaps to help him understand the need for more regulation? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Who on Earth does she think she is, insulting the President-elect like that? Left-wing celebrities need to learn that the world does not revolve around them. Your country wanted Trump, accept it, move on, and support him.
    i love you kass

ReputationRep:
    >wealthy white woman says something for attention

Who the hell cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)

Why is it that the right wing deliberately act stupid to try and dismiss criticism of Trump? The way he used gestures against Ted Cruz was no where near as exaggerated as those of the disabled reporter. It was prolonged and directly mocked his condition and he should have stopped when people around him were laughing.

Ofc you are someone who was educated from the open uni so I can understand why you lack the mental capacity to understand this. It's okay, you can apologise for making a post on a forum for intellects and **** off

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed, I'm 100% certain that those condemning Trum for mocking the disabled,allegedly, were as equally outraged when Obama mocked disabled Olympians.

Yes................

Virtue signalling, is it worth it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ight-Show.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    They aren't the same gestures at all. In those clips, he is mocking the vagueness of the response of various officials. In the disabled reporter clip, he is using a grossly offensive stereotyped depiction of a disabled person's movements. It couldn't be plainer.

Also interesting to note in the first of those clips that he condemns the lack of regulation on the big banks - that must explain why he is filling his cabinet and senior government posts with bankers - perhaps to help him understand the need for more regulation? :rolleyes:
    This.

People who don't think he'll be a disgraceful president representing his country need to check their definition of a 'good' president.

FORGET Obama, forget Hillary, they may not have been good presidents (in Hillary's case, hypothetical) according to some people, but it does not change the facts, Donald.Trump.is.absolute.crap.

What about women's rights? What about gay rights? His opinions and thoughts on those are sickening.

I HATE Hillary more than Trump. But it's like choosing between Stalin and Hitler. They're both TERRIBLE. I wish people would stop treating Trump like he's a messiah. I feel like it's become fashionable to "go with the unpopular opinion"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe cooley)
    Yes indeed, I'm 100% certain that those condemning Trum for mocking the disabled,allegedly, were as equally outraged when Obama mocked disabled Olympians.

Yes................

Virtue signalling, is it worth it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ight-Show.html
    It really is double standards with liberals, isn't it? A right-winger says or does something slightly politically incorrect and they get hounded on, whereas if one of their leftie favourites throws out a nasty insult it gets completely ignored.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The election is done, the result isn't going to change, whinging about it is futile...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    This.

People who don't think he'll be a disgraceful president representing his country need to check their definition of a 'good' president.

FORGET Obama, forget Hillary, they may not have been good presidents (in Hillary's case, hypothetical) according to some people, but it does not change the facts, Donald.Trump.is.absolute.crap.

What about women's rights? What about gay rights? His opinions and thoughts on those are sickening.

I HATE Hillary more than Trump. But it's like choosing between Stalin and Hitler. They're both TERRIBLE. I wish people would stop treating Trump like he's a messiah. I feel like it's become fashionable to "go with the unpopular opinion"

Which of Mr.Trumps opinions and thoughts about women's/gay rights did you find to be sickening, exactly?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.