Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay, I'm 17, and left school at 16 for an apprenticeship. Now acidemically I'm above average, smarter than my friends but when it comes to common sense or simple tasks or questions I need to think about them or ask the person to repeat what he said to follow it, and alot of the time I make silly mistakes. at work I'm the youngest (by a lot). And I get called useless, I feel like I do most things right but sometimes zone out or mis hear the question and need them to repeat it and this makes me seem more stupid. What is wrong with me?

Excuse the mistakes I done this quickly on a small keyboard that is my iphone.

ReputationRep:
    Could it be linked to how much sleep you're getting? Doesn't justify them calling you useless at all, because that's just them being dicks, but I tend to zone out a lot too if I'm running low on sleep

(Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Could it be linked to how much sleep you're getting? Doesn't justify them calling you useless at all, because that's just them being dicks, but I tend to zone out a lot too if I'm running low on sleep
    I don't think so, although I am up at 6 every morning. It's been an ongoing problem. Not sure if it's I just lack brain power or I have a problem such as add

, I'm 17 and currently undergoing a 3 year apprenticeship. I left school a year ago- not due to bad grades but because I just hated it. I don't get bullied or anything and have a good group of friends, who go out every week and are athletic. Now my friends all say I have no common sense and sometimes aren't all there- I space out and sometimes don't know there speaking at all. I often also say stupid things In work I'm the youngest by atleast 20 years. I find that I'm at a disadvantage and whenever I try and do something I make silly mistakes and they notice them. I often need to get them to repeat what they are asking me to do, because I couldn't understand what they said the first time which I think makes them think less of me. Sometimes they say I'm useless and am slower than the other apprentice (4 years older than me). I feel like I have a concentration problem. What is wrong with me? Excuse the mistakes my hands are freezing and I'm in a rush

That's better I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't think so, although I am up at 6 every morning. It's been an ongoing problem. Not sure if it's I just lack brain power or I have a problem such as add
    Actually, ADD would make a lot of sense. My older brother has it, and due to our school not recognising it, he actually had to drop out. He struggles with concentrating etc. and it got pretty bad (his classmates would make fun of him). My younger brother has ADHD and what you're experiencing doesn't seem that extreme, which is good, so you can probably rule that out.
    Maybe see if you can get it properly diagnosed so you can explain to people that it's not your fault.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.