Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Please use this thread to ask any questions about Accommodation for the 2017/18 intake.

ReputationRep:
    Which is the turn up hall with catered ??

ReputationRep:
    Which of the premium ensuite halls is the most social?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj179)
    Which of the premium ensuite halls is the most social?
    Hi,

Halls are very social places, with all our halls offering lots of opportunities for an active social life. Both Mackinder and Childs are known for being social, but it depends, as each flat it different. Childs and Mackinder are next to Park Bar which is ideal for meeting friends, getting drinks or playing pool.

All Halls at Reading also have a JCR who are a group of people who lived in the halls last year, and organise lots of social events, starting in freshers fortnight and running throughout the year. When I was in halls the sorts of things our JCR organised included, socials, christmas formal, a spring boat party and quiz nights. Each JCR differs but they all offer lots of different social events.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions

Emma
    3rd Year Human and Physical Geographer

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I hold a conditional offer and on their website it says applications for accommodation open in April (for students with a conditional offer). I can only afford to live in St George's Hall; will it still be possible to choose a flat in this building or is it more likely that all the other students with unconditional offers will have taken all the rooms there? (as applications open sooner for them).

Also, does anyone know what St George's Hall is like?

Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corneliamona)
    Hi,

I hold a conditional offer and on their website it says applications for accommodation open in April (for students with a conditional offer). I can only afford to live in St George's Hall; will it still be possible to choose a flat in this building or is it more likely that all the other students with unconditional offers will have taken all the rooms there? (as applications open sooner for them).

Also, does anyone know what St George's Hall is like?

Thank you so much
    Hi,

Firstly congratulations on the offer! Its hard to say, as it differs each year. I know people in my year, that had conditional offers and were able to choose St Georges, so it does depend. The best advice I can give you is to apply as soon as it opens in April, to give yourself the greatest chance. I understand it is more each week, but its also worth looking at Wessex Hall, just in case as well.

St Georges is one of more traditional style halls and is self catered. I have friends on my course who lived there and they really enjoyed it, the surrounding area is really nice, and its quire green. They also had lots of social activities going on, as there JCR (Junior Common Room Committee) organised lots of events. The JCR are people who lived in the halls the year before and get elected to run the events for the new people moving in. Each hall has one and they all run different events. But they often include christmas and spring formals, quizzes, trips out to either the cinema or ice skating, and sometimes even trips abroad.

Hope this helps, and sorry I cant give you a definite answer about the halls but it varies each year. But feel free to ask me any other questions.

Emma

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emma,

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it! Definitely helped a lot

Cornelia

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emma,

I have an Unconditional at Reading and I am looking to have en-suite. Just wanted to ask which are usually the most popular halls/townhouses to get in to? Do students with Unconditional offers get first choice over students with conditional? as one opens for Feb and one opens for April i think.

Thanks for any replies.

Sam

ReputationRep:
    What date can conditional holders apply please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sz17)
    Hi Emma,

I have an Unconditional at Reading and I am looking to have en-suite. Just wanted to ask which are usually the most popular halls/townhouses to get in to? Do students with Unconditional offers get first choice over students with conditional? as one opens for Feb and one opens for April i think.

Thanks for any replies.

Sam
    Hi Sam,

Excellent news on the offer! In terms of en-suite it would depend if you want standard or premium. The best advice I would give there would be to look at your budget.
    But for the standard ensuite rooms the most subscribed is often McCombie and Greenow. As they are in the Park Group halls, but also because they are small halls so there generally isn't as many rooms, they also tend to put lots of masters students in those halls. But as you are in early you probably still can apply to them. But I was in Sherfield in my first year and I really enjoyed it. They have quite a homely feel to them, because they are little more traditional, they kind of look like houses from the outside. They are just off campus but its like a 3-5 min walk to campus and 5-10 to the main buildings like the library and students union and doesn't really make any difference at all, and is the same distance as some of the halls that are on campus. Also in the same group is Benyon. They are also popular as they are a little newer than Sherfield, and situated around a lake, the year I was there Benyon was a quieter hall than Sherfield but it does change each year.

If you want a premium ensuite the most popular two are Mackinder and Childs as they quite new and modern (though all premuim rooms are), and near Park Bar which is a large social space, which has a bar, pool tables and a large screen for the sport.

In terms of allocations, I think they do it in the order you apply (kind of like first comes first served sort of thing) so if you are in the first group of applications I would expect you are more likely. Though I can't guarantee that of course, but it is logical.

Emma

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

If myself and my friend are both going to Reading Uni, is it possible to be put in the same halls when booking them?

Thanks,

Sam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampitman)
    Hiya,

If myself and my friend are both going to Reading Uni, is it possible to be put in the same halls when booking them?

Thanks,

Sam
    Hi Sam,
    It is possible to request to be put in the same Halls as your friend and the Accommodation Office will try to adhere to that request where possible -- however it's not 100% guaranteed. Make sure both you and your friend puts that request in at the time of application.

Mark
    Final Year Accounting and Management

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I thought I'd drop a message here as well, just in case you're looking for accommodation off campus.
    We're a student accommodation building based in Reading town centre; Whiteknights is 15 minutes away by bus and the London Road campus is walking distance from us!
    Our en-suite studios are fab, and all bills are included. We're doing some booking offers as well, so check out our website. Take a look at our facebook as well, there's lots of pictures there of our studios and our very cool residents.

You can drop a message on facebook or just email us at [email protected] uk

http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/prop...tudios-reading
    https://business.facebook.com/CentralStudiosReading/

[email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    Please use this thread to ask any questions about Accommodation for the 2017/18 intake.
    Hi,
    I'm applying for accommodation but I wanted to know how I should apply for a single gender flat? Also, what are single gender flats like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naimahh)
    Hi,
    I'm applying for accommodation but I wanted to know how I should apply for a single gender flat? Also, what are single gender flats like?
    Hi Naimahh,

There are a limited number of single gender halls available:
    The self catered halls are: Benyon, Bridges, Child's, Sherfield and Stenton Hall.
    There is only one catered single gender halls available: Wantage Hall.

When you apply for accommodation make sure you put some of the halls listed above. In the application there is a box that says: "REQUIRE single gender accommodation", just click that box!

(Note that if you click the box that says "PREFER single gender" there is no 100% guarantee you will get single gender - so make sure you click the correct box!!).

The single gender flats are the exact same as all the mixed flats. I would have a look at our webpage, it gives you loads of images and detailed information about each of the halls : http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...mmodation.aspx

I hope this helped and if you have any further or specific questions feel free to ask,
    Amelia,
    3rd year student studying Archaeology and History

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a conditional offer to start studying at Reading University in september. I have been looking at the accommodation guide and think I am going to apply for a premium en suite room. However, I know that some halls that have these type of rooms are off campus for example Benyon. I really really dont want to be off the campus. Do I put this request on my application? Also how likely do you think that it will be that my request will be fulfilled?

Thank you very much in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whi03)
    Hi,

I have a conditional offer to start studying at Reading University in september. I have been looking at the accommodation guide and think I am going to apply for a premium en suite room. However, I know that some halls that have these type of rooms are off campus for example Benyon. I really really dont want to be off the campus. Do I put this request on my application? Also how likely do you think that it will be that my request will be fulfilled?

Thank you very much in advance
    Hi, glad to here you received an offer and are planning to study at Reading.

The way applying for halls, works by you choosing your top 5 halls, so for example if you didn't want to stay in Benyon, due to it being off campus then I would suggest choosing Childs, Mackinder, Stenton as your first three as they are all on Park Group , the biggest group of halls on campus (they are all the same, so you could put those in any order). Then Bridges then Benyon.

But also I wouldn't concern yourself with being off campus, I was in Sherfield, which is next door to Benyon, and its like a 5 minute walk to campus, it used to take me 3 minutes. These halls just off campus, still have the facilities that the on campus halls offer, such as a reception, a post collection point and laundry and common room space.

But if you apply as soon as you can, it should be ok getting into one of those premium rooms on campus, but obviously it changes each year and I cannot guarantee. But if you apply as soon as you can, you are putting yourself in the best position to get one of your top choices.

Emma
    3rd year Human and Physical Geographer

ReputationRep:
    Looking to put Reading as my firm choice, and atm i am considering Childs Hall or Bridges accommodation as my 2 most preferred. Anyone else also wanting to apply to these? or any useful information regarding these options?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My son is an applicant with a conditional offer from Reading which he is seriously considering. He received an email this week re: accommodation options. Looking at the "accommodation guarantee" on the website it says:

You will be guaranteed a place in halls if you are:

A new full-time undergraduate who holds Reading as a Firm UCAS choice and applies for accommodation by 1 August and satisfies any conditions of your academic offerby 31 August of your year of entry

What I am unsure about is what happens if he makes Reading his firm choice but does not make his offer of ABB but is still accepted with say BBB or ABC or some other variation below the stated conditional grades? Is he still guaranteed a place in halls or not in this scenario? Would he be less likely than an applicant who did meet their conditions to get his preferred accommodation type or are both applicants treated equally all other things being equal?

In addition it would be useful to know what the reality is for Reading applicants in the following groups in terms of getting a place in halls and there preferred accommodation type:

Applicant firms Reading and makes condition of offer (obviously this is covered by the guarantee)
    Applicant firms Reading and doesn't make condition of offer but is accepted
    Applicant insures Reading and makes condition of offer having been rejected from firm choice
    Applicant insures Reading and doesn't make condition of offer but is accepted
    Applicant accepted through clearing

Any guidance is much appreciated. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GP2016)
    Hi there,

My son is an applicant with a conditional offer from Reading which he is seriously considering. He received an email this week re: accommodation options. Looking at the "accommodation guarantee" on the website it says:

You will be guaranteed a place in halls if you are:

A new full-time undergraduate who holds Reading as a Firm UCAS choice and applies for accommodation by 1 August and satisfies any conditions of your academic offerby 31 August of your year of entry

What I am unsure about is what happens if he makes Reading his firm choice but does not make his offer of ABB but is still accepted with say BBB or ABC or some other variation below the stated conditional grades? Is he still guaranteed a place in halls or not in this scenario? Would he be less likely than an applicant who did meet their conditions to get his preferred accommodation type or are both applicants treated equally all other things being equal?

In addition it would be useful to know what the reality is for Reading applicants in the following groups in terms of getting a place in halls and there preferred accommodation type:

Applicant firms Reading and makes condition of offer (obviously this is covered by the guarantee)
    Applicant firms Reading and doesn't make condition of offer but is accepted
    Applicant insures Reading and makes condition of offer having been rejected from firm choice
    Applicant insures Reading and doesn't make condition of offer but is accepted
    Applicant accepted through clearing

Any guidance is much appreciated. Cheers
    Hi,

Glad to here your son is thinking of firming Reading! I'm currently in my third year at Reading and I've really enjoyed my time here. Accommodation offers do vary each year dependent on how many people apply and things like that. But I'll give you my best response, with my own experiences and awareness of the system.

- Applicant firms Reading and makes condition of offer (obviously this is covered by the guarantee) - He will get an offer of a room he applies for.

- Applicant firms Reading and doesn't make condition of offer but is accepted- So this was the case for me, I got slightly lower grades in the summer, but was still accepted on the course, without having to sort anything out or having to ring up. My accommodation offer, still stood and I got an offer of a halls I'd chosen. From what I've heard, your entry grades, whether you exactly met them or not, do not tend to make a difference in terms of likelihood of getting a room, as the halls admin just know they have been accepted onto their course, and organise the rooms accordingly.

Applicant insures Reading and makes condition of offer having been rejected from firm choice + Applicant insures Reading and doesn't make condition of offer but is accepted- So in this case, the university cannot guarantee you a place in halls, but do their best to place you in halls. Sometimes you have to be less picky in terms of what type of hall you go into, as you are basically filling gaps. For example my friend got offered a catered hall, after getting in through insurance, as that was where there were spaces. Also sometime there can be a slight lag in getting placed in a hall, in previous years they have had people who have spent their first week in a hotel, and then the university have helped get them placed in halls or if they've wanted organised them into a house.

Applicant accepted through clearing- Clearing is a similar process to insurance offer, in the fact they may offer you wants left, so you have to be less picky.

Hope this helps, and my best advice is if he really likes Reading, then put it as his firm choice, as it makes accommodation a really easy process. Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Emma

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.