Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historylady)
    Don't think you stand much chance of getting it changed. My daughter wasn't happy as she wanted to cook herself but they so get a kitchenette so she may actually end up with best if both worlds. Now she's in catered at least we know she won't starve
    My son wasn't happy at first, but he now accepts that there are some advantages. At least he won't have to spend much time food shopping and cooking, and we don't need to buy so much stuff for him to take to halls. Also, as you said, we know he won't starve! He's accepted the place in halls now, because it didn't sound like there was much chance of changing to somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise I had an accommodation offer until today and it's already expired (expired on the 26th Aug which sucks). It still gave me an option to pay for the deposit towards the accommodation but I didn't think it was a good idea considering the offer was expired so I contacted the accommodation office by email - although I have to wait until Tuesday because they're close tomorrow for Bank Holiday. There's still a chance I might get accommodation because clearing students will hear from the uni about their halls but I'm just worried that my delayed response would affect things.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by OXO99)
    My son wasn't happy at first, but he now accepts that there are some advantages. At least he won't have to spend much time food shopping and cooking, and we don't need to buy so much stuff for him to take to halls. Also, as you said, we know he won't starve! He's accepted the place in halls now, because it didn't sound like there was much chance of changing to somewhere else.
    Hello

Glad your son has got an accommodation offer and congratulations to him for getting an offer from UoR! I know it is not best if you wanted self-catered accommodation but it does take the stress out of first year in terms of cooking and shopping- leaves more time to study, socialize and meet new people. I had friends in the exact same situation in first year and it actually worked out really well for them!

If you have anymore questions then just let us know! I hope your son will be as happy at Reading as I am!

Alice
    Food Science Placement Student
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by RedLight27)
    I didn't realise I had an accommodation offer until today and it's already expired (expired on the 26th Aug which sucks). It still gave me an option to pay for the deposit towards the accommodation but I didn't think it was a good idea considering the offer was expired so I contacted the accommodation office by email - although I have to wait until Tuesday because they're close tomorrow for Bank Holiday. There's still a chance I might get accommodation because clearing students will hear from the uni about their halls but I'm just worried that my delayed response would affect things.
    Hello

That's so annoying! Sorry to hear that Yes you've done the right thing, I would Also recommend ringing the accommodation office as then you know you will get an answer! There number is +44 (0)118 378 420.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions then just let us know!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if theres any clearing accommodation left for halls ?? I've heard its all currently taken up

ReputationRep:
    hi! so i'm staying in st patrick's hall and i'm in a group chat with some other people in that hall... all their room numbers are really similar (e.g. PATB10 for example) whereas mine is completely different (PATPCGF) and i have no idea what that means.... could someone help me out please???

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know the deadline for hearing back regarding applications for accommodation through clearing?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by L1lly)
    Does anyone know if theres any clearing accommodation left for halls ?? I've heard its all currently taken up
    Hello

When you accept your clearing offer then there is the option to apply for accommodation if it is available, so it is worth a try. The clearing accommodation opened on 21st August, and there is always very high demand for it so I don't imagine there is very much option left.

The clearing FAQs may help you with your answers: http://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/cl...#accommodation

If you don't manage to get university accommodation then there are other options such as private rented accommodation or private halls (UNITE, fresh student living, central studios reading etc). You may also be put on a waiting list also for university halls as rooms may become available either before term starts or very quickly after term starts. There is more information on this here: http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...mmodation.aspx

Hope this helps you!

Alice
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by caoimhe_t)
    hi! so i'm staying in st patrick's hall and i'm in a group chat with some other people in that hall... all their room numbers are really similar (e.g. PATB10 for example) whereas mine is completely different (PATPCGF) and i have no idea what that means.... could someone help me out please???
    Hello

Congratulations on getting your accommodation offer!

I stayed in Bridges Hall so the numbering of the rooms was slightly different to what it is in St Pats. Giving it a guess I imagine that the P stands for block P and the GF for ground floor room. Possible the C stands for room C but I am not too sure. I will get this checked for you tomorrow and get back to you if I am wrong!

Hope this helps, and do ask if you have anymore questions!

Alice
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by caoimhe_t)
    I have sorted it! So the PC standards for Pearson Court (the older block of St Pats) and GF stands for Ground Floor!

Hope this helps and hope you are getting excited about coming to Reading!

If you have anymore question then please let us know!

Alice
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Wilko3000)
    Does anybody know the deadline for hearing back regarding applications for accommodation through clearing?
    Hello

So there is no official deadline for hearing back about clearing accommodation, as the university have lots of requests to deal with! But if you haven't heard back soon then I would ring the accommodation office (as you will definitely hear back then).

Their contact details are: [email protected] and the phone number is 0118 378 4203

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions then please let us know!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    Hi advice needed please Reading uni told me yesterday afternoon they have no accommodation left for this year rang 9 estate agents loads of landlords numbers off the web all full. I am a first year student at whiteknight with nowhere to stay. I live over 2 hours away by car. I really liked the regis park road flats but all gone any advice. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I got my first choice of halls however have been put in with third years. I'm a first year student and while I did take a gap year, I am really worried as there is a huge difference between first and third year. I'm now concerned I'm not going to experience freshers like everyone else, as the majority of my flat are third years. I am also in general worried about who I will move in with in a second year, as most people move in with the people from there first year. It seems the accommodation people didn't take that into consideration, when allocating I am now terribly anxious. Given I am paying a lot of money for this accommodation, it seems ridiculous I now feel my uni experience is about to be ruined as there will be no one in my flat who is a fresher. I have emailed the uni accommodation to get clarification, but havent heard a response I don't know what to do? It just seems unusual given how throughout the comments everyone is suggesting you get put with first years if you yourself a first year? I now am considering dropping out, and dropping out because of this.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by katherine8989)
    Hi, so I got my first choice of halls however have been put in with third years. I'm a first year student and while I did take a gap year, I am really worried as there is a huge difference between first and third year. I'm now concerned I'm not going to experience freshers like everyone else, as the majority of my flat are third years. I am also in general worried about who I will move in with in a second year, as most people move in with the people from there first year. It seems the accommodation people didn't take that into consideration, when allocating I am now terribly anxious. Given I am paying a lot of money for this accommodation, it seems ridiculous I now feel my uni experience is about to be ruined as there will be no one in my flat who is a fresher. I have emailed the uni accommodation to get clarification, but havent heard a response I don't know what to do? It just seems unusual given how throughout the comments everyone is suggesting you get put with first years if you yourself a first year? I now am considering dropping out, and dropping out because of this.
    Hi

Going to uni in general can be a daunting experience, so I'm sorry you feel so anxious!

I honestly wouldn't worry. Third years will still want to go out in freshers and do other activities. The workload hasn't started yet, they aren't going to be too busy to do anything! If you were put in a flat with freshers some of those may be anti social people who like their own company with others, you never know. It all depends on how well you get on with the people!

Also third year students will give you a lot of tips and guidance about uni in general too! I'll be going into third year this month and I'm planning on working hard but also making the most of my last year at university as we only get this experience once!

When I arrived at uni I was lucky that I clicked with my flat mates. However, before nights out in freshers we went to the flat next door and got to know the people in there. As well some people are closer friends with people in the flat above or in the next block or next door etc. For a lot of people the flat they are in is just where they eat, do work and sleep and the rest of the time they are with their friends elsewhere!

I was in a flat of 9 people and 4 of my flat mates did the same course so I thought they might have a closer bond, and 2 others did the same course and I was the only one doing Philosophy. I was wrong we were all close and it made me make more course mate friends who I'm almost as close with as well! I like having a groups of different friends.

Again, there are so many sports societies and other clubs to get involved with. A lot of people in the same team or club often live together too in second year.

If you really did hate it when you arrived you could try ask to change flats but I can't guarantee how likely there would be another available flat.
    I hope this has reassured you a little. Any further questions feel free to ask.

Sophie
    Philosophy student
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by EFinney)
    Hi advice needed please Reading uni told me yesterday afternoon they have no accommodation left for this year rang 9 estate agents loads of landlords numbers off the web all full. I am a first year student at whiteknight with nowhere to stay. I live over 2 hours away by car. I really liked the regis park road flats but all gone any advice. Thank you.
    HI

This is a really useful website which has some helpful hints of what to do when you don't have a place in halls.
    https://www.rusu.co.uk/housing/
    Some people I know didn't get halls in first year and they had to search for other people on Facebook who were in the same situation so they could find a house together. There's a link on the page which goes to Find A Housemate Group on Facebook.

The link gives a list of lots of estate agents, so there may be some that you haven't come across yet.

There's also a list of Private halls of residence that are located in Reading such as Fawley Bridge and Unite accommodation.

Hope this helped, any further questions feel free to ask!
    Good luck with your house search.

Sophie
    Third year Philosophy student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historylady)
    Don't think you stand much chance of getting it changed. My daughter wasn't happy as she wanted to cook herself but they so get a kitchenette so she may actually end up with best if both worlds. Now she's in catered at least we know she won't starve
    My daughter's still trying to change to self catered. No luck yet but the accommodation office are trying to help her.

Anyway one question - we've heard that the local refectory/canteen to St Pats is closed at the weekend! So where are students supposed to go then? Are all the catered halls like this? Does the price for catered factor this in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosc044)
    My daughter's still trying to change to self catered. No luck yet but the accommodation office are trying to help her.

Anyway one question - we've heard that the local refectory/canteen to St Pats is closed at the weekend! So where are students supposed to go then? Are all the catered halls like this? Does the price for catered factor this in?
    Hi, I was catered last year if you have any more questions On the weekends the biggest food outlet on campus (park eat) is open all day Saturday and Sunday as is the food place at the London Road campus which is just under a 10 minute walk from St Pats. Alternatively some people prefer to cook for themselves on the weekends and spend more of the catered money during the week, it's very flexible. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAmy123)
    Hi, I was catered last year if you have any more questions On the weekends the biggest food outlet on campus (park eat) is open all day Saturday and Sunday as is the food place at the London Road campus w

hich is just under a 10 minute walk from St Pats. Alternatively some people prefer to cook for themselves on the weekends and spend more of the catered money during the week, it's very flexible. Hope this helps
    Ok thanks - she probably would have tried doing the latter if the cooking facilities were ok - anyway no need now as she's been moved into an un-catered hall as she requested initially.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I applied to reading through clearing and I really want a space in halls! Is there any chance of me getting one before uni starts?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm staying in windsor halls and am a bit worried about when I first move in as there's no common room so I don't really know where to go or what to do to make friends and say hi to everyone once I've moved in! Any tips?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.