Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasMom)
    Thanks for that info Alice, answers my questions very well Just a few more if ya don't mind, In lets say Stenton, what do the gender mixes look like on average? Also, how far is it from the town center, would i need to take a bus or would walking be fine? Thanks again
    Not a problem

When I was in Bridges Hall for first year, we had a 50 50 split of genders, so 6 girls and 6 boys. Generally it is either 50 50 or 60 40, unless you pick single gender accommodation.

The town centre is about a 30 minute walk or there is a 24/7 bus which will take you to the centre of town in 10 minutes! The Claret 21 run by Reading buses costing £2.50 for the day for student tickets.

Hope this answers your questions!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    Hello

University accommodation is on a contract (either 51 weeks or 40 weeks) but you only have to pay your accommodation per term rather than the total cost when you arrive - so it is paid in three installments.

You will find that most accommodation is on a contract for the year, including private rented houses around campus, or private student accommodation - again you will be paying per month for private rented accommodation or per term for private halls. Private rented accommodation is unlikely to include an en-suite therefore you are better off (if you would like an en-suite) to apply to either en-suite university accommodation or private halls.

If you decide that the accommodation is not for you, you may find you can leave part way through the year but this will incur some cost and you often lose your deposit. You are only contracted for one year, so you can change your accommodation between your degree years if you would like that.

Some useful websites:
    UNITE student accommodation (Kendrick Halls) http://www.unitestudents.com/reading
    I have friends living here at the moment, all the rooms are en-suite, it is sociable and you share your kitchen with about 6 people.

Fresh student Living, Central Studios Reading http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/prop...udios-reading/

Hope all this helps you, and any more questions feel free to ask.

Alice
    2nd Year Food Science Student
    Thanks Alice this certainly cleared things up. One last thing, I have heard that the WiFi services around campus accommodation is not reliable. Is this true ? And what hall would you recommend for a Post Grad ensuite, shared kitchen. (Close to Henley business school)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ngalam)
    Thanks Alice this certainly cleared things up. One last thing, I have heard that the WiFi services around campus accommodation is not reliable. Is this true ? And what hall would you recommend for a Post Grad ensuite, shared kitchen. (Close to Henley business school)
    Hi

The wifi across campus is quite reliable and on campus accommodation. It is the same one used for the whole campus. I haven't had any problems with the wifi from my time at university. If ever it doesn't work I just turn wifi off and back on again and it is fine!

Bridges hall has premium ensuite rooms with a shared kitchen and this type of accommodation is only available for post graduates. This would be ideal for you. I would say it is only a 10/15 minute walk from Henley Business School so not far at all.
    Here is the link: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...dges-hall.aspx

Greenow and McCombie are part of the Park Group area of campus where a lot of halls are situated. These have en suite rooms with a shared kitchen and have allocated post graduate only buildings. Park group is situated a bit nearer to Henley Business school so you may prefer this hall instead.
    Here is the link:
    https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...-mccombie.aspx

Hope this helped! Any further questions feel free to ask!
    Sophie
    Second year Philosophy student

ReputationRep:
    Has Wessex Hall already been filled? it doesn't come up when applying for accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by He1999)
    Has Wessex Hall already been filled? it doesn't come up when applying for accommodation?
    Hi

I'm not entirely sure, it may be the case that it is full as the applications opened for firm choice holders in February.
    This is the accommodation teams email in case you want them to clarify whether this is the case.
    [email protected] k

Hope this helped answer your question.
    Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I have recently applied for Wessex, Bridges and McCombie but after reading this page I am a little worried that Bridges and McCombie are majorly for post graduates?
    Also will I only find out which accommodation I am in after results day if I hold a conditional offer?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottelilixx)
    Hi there!
    I have recently applied for Wessex, Bridges and McCombie but after reading this page I am a little worried that Bridges and McCombie are majorly for post graduates?
    Also will I only find out which accommodation I am in after results day if I hold a conditional offer?
    Thanks in advance
    Hi Charlotte,

Bridges is the newest hall that we have at Reading and also one of the largest - the majority of people who live in Bridges are undergraduate, first year students so don't worry about that! I know lots of people who lived in Bridges last year and all of those were freshers too. Wessex is exactly the same, with most students being freshers. Again, I know lots of people who had a great year in Wessex.

McCombie does have postgraduate rooms within the hall but you will be grouped based on the year of your study. It is also worth saying that our accommodation has been changed slightly this year from having postgraduate halls to 'halls of quieter lifestyle'. Obviously some undergraduates prefer to live in quieter areas while some postgraduates still like to be in the bustle of halls! This does not mean that there won't be many undergrads in McCombie however and you are also linked with Greenow and Windsor who have large fresher populations.

You may find some flats that are grouped based on these quieter lifestyle choices in McCombie, but it is safe to say that the large majority of halls are used by freshers and you definitely won't be on your own!

I believe your accommodation will only be confirmed when your offer has been fulfilled and you have accepted this on Results Day. For a full timeline look at our website here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...-timeline.aspx

Hope that helps!

Ben
    Second Year Human and Physical Geography

ReputationRep:
    I've put Reading as my insurance so I know I won't get a choice for accommodation but I was just wondering are there usually premium ensuite/normal ensuite rooms ever left after results day to choose from??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _niki)
    I've put Reading as my insurance so I know I won't get a choice for accommodation but I was just wondering are there usually premium ensuite/normal ensuite rooms ever left after results day to choose from??
    Hi,

Great to hear that you have Reading down as your insurance. Good luck with any exams and your results!

Unfortunately this is very difficult to know and I would not want to give you a false answer. It can vary every year depending on a number of factors. I do know that if you cannot get a place in halls of residence that the university will give lots of advice and guidance on finding alternative living arrangements.

It would be most effective to email our accommodation team on the following address as they are best suited to advise in this situation: [email protected] k

My personal experience dealing with the accommodation team has been very positive and as such I can speak with confidence when recommending them.

If you have any other questions then feel free to ask!

Dan
    First Year Student Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional offer last week to do an MA, but was wondering if there are any accommodations dedicated to postgraduate students?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Emma!

I'm currently holding a conditional offer letter for an undergrad course in Reading. I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

1. Can you please explain to me the difference between the "Washbasin" and "Shared bathroom"? Does the washbasin option such as Windsor or Wantage indicate that we have to share bathrooms as well, but we have an added advantage of a washbasin in the room itself?

2. Also, regarding sharing bathrooms, I'm concerned with the hygiene of the place. Will you have cleaners to come regularly or do we have 'take care' of them ourselves>

3. What's the difference between the washbasin and premium washbasin option?

4. Are we allowed to cook if we're choosing the catered option?

Thank you so much in advance! Have a nice day. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewalkingpiano)
    Hello Emma!

I'm currently holding a conditional offer letter for an undergrad course in Reading. I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

1. Can you please explain to me the difference between the "Washbasin" and "Shared bathroom"? Does the washbasin option such as Windsor or Wantage indicate that we have to share bathrooms as well, but we have an added advantage of a washbasin in the room itself?

2. Also, regarding sharing bathrooms, I'm concerned with the hygiene of the place. Will you have cleaners to come regularly or do we have 'take care' of them ourselves>

3. What's the difference between the washbasin and premium washbasin option?

4. Are we allowed to cook if we're choosing the catered option?

Thank you so much in advance! Have a nice day. (:

Hi

Congratulations on your offer!

1. You are right, the washbasin room you have the bonus of a sink in your room but still share a bathroom. If you just have a shared bathroom you don't have the sink in your room as well.

2. Last year I was in a shared bathroom hall in Bridges and we had cleaners come twice a week to clean the bathroom and kitchen because they are communal areas. Obviously if either are very dirty and messy the cleaners won't clean them.

3. I'm not sure about the difference between premium washbasin and just washbasin. The room may just be a bit bigger. You'd have to check with the accommodation as I don't know for sure!
    Here is the email:
    [email protected] k

4. If you choose the catered option there isn't much scope for cooking. There is a shared kitchen area with a microwave and kettle and a few appliances. But with the catered option the expectation is that you would have most your meals around campus as you have paid for it as part of your rent cost.

Here is the link to the university accommodation page which is where you can look at some pictures of the different rooms.
    https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...s-of-room.aspx

Hope this has helped!
    Any further questions feel free to ask.

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostywrath)
    I got a conditional offer last week to do an MA, but was wondering if there are any accommodations dedicated to postgraduate students?

Thanks!
    Hi

Congratulations on your offer!

Bridges hall premium en suite rooms are only available to postgraduates. Some other halls have some flats specifically designated for post graduates or third years who want quieter space.

If you need anymore information I'd suggest emailing the accommodation team to check what else is available to you as a post grad.
    Here is the email:
    [email protected] k

Hope this helped!
    Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have done my accommodation application and I have been allocated CHIT2.22, can someone explain what this means and will only people with the exact same be in my flat?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJDougal)
    Hi, I have done my accommodation application and I have been allocated CHIT2.22, can someone explain what this means and will only people with the exact same be in my flat?
    Thanks!
    Hello

I believe that means you are in Childs Hall, Block T, Floor 2, Flat 2 and room 2! The last two means your room, but anyone will live in that flat who also has been allocated CHIT2.2.

Hope this helps you and anymore questions feel free to ask!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    How many weeks of accommodation do we book, 40 or 50 for education?

ReputationRep:
    St Georges, Benyon and Shefield accommodation are they loud and party like? Are they first years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amellia23)
    St Georges, Benyon and Shefield accommodation are they loud and party like? Are they first years?
    Hi Amellia,

Your first question is a little tricky, is it an undergraduate education degree you have applied for? If so, all of our undergraduate courses will run for a 40 week period so this would be fine, unless you were planning to stay in Reading after the end of term to carry out a work placement etc. but this is an individual decision as far as I know.

The question I've quoted is slightly easier to answer! All of these halls, like most at Reading, will be a mixture of undergraduate and postgraduate. However, most halls do have a majority of undergraduate students. If you are looking for a quieter area, then you can apply for 'Areas of Quieter Lifestyle' through the application portal but if you're looking for the general hustle and bustle of university accommodation then applying for these halls through the normal system will be fine.

Hope that helps!

Ben
    Second Year Human and Physical Geography

ReputationRep:
    hi! basically i've been offered (and accepted) accommodation for self-catered halls in St Patrick's (if anyone else is staying there please let me know!!) however everything i've seen online says that St Patrick's is catered only, so i'm a little confused? any help would be great, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caoimhe_t)
    hi! basically i've been offered (and accepted) accommodation for self-catered halls in St Patrick's (if anyone else is staying there please let me know!!) however everything i've seen online says that St Patrick's is catered only, so i'm a little confused? any help would be great, thanks!
    Hi there

Firstly, congratulations on your offer from Reading and glad you have firmed it!

You are right, from the university webpage St Patrick's does look like a catered hall - just wondering, have you applied for undergraduate or postgraduate study?

I will endeavour to find out some more information about this and get back to you.

In the meantime if you do have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Alice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.