Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is it okay if our essays include appendices? The appendices in my papers make both of my writing samples over the word limit...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Email the uni and ask as it will be dependent on the course. Is there nothing in the guidelines about this?

ReputationRep:
    I wondered if you guys could help me.

Do you know how they calculate our predicted mark when applying for a masters? I am currently in my second year of undergrad. At my uni they take your best 5 modules out of 9. So you can get a first by averaging 57% (70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 40, 40, 40, 40). How can I therefore calculate if I am on 67%+ for a masters programme? Do Oxford take a straight average of all my modules to date? or do they take into consideration the way my university grades my degree?

ReputationRep:
    does oxford/cambridge take into account the module grades of all years when making a decision for a masters? is there a minimum module grade they want? for instance, anything below a 2:2 and they rip up your application?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A12R34)
    I wondered if you guys could help me.

Do you know how they calculate our predicted mark when applying for a masters? I am currently in my second year of undergrad. At my uni they take your best 5 modules out of 9. So you can get a first by averaging 57% (70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 40, 40, 40, 40). How can I therefore calculate if I am on 67%+ for a masters programme? Do Oxford take a straight average of all my modules to date? or do they take into consideration the way my university grades my degree?
    (Original post by ozilll)
    does oxford/cambridge take into account the module grades of all years when making a decision for a masters? is there a minimum module grade they want? for instance, anything below a 2:2 and they rip up your application?
    You are both being too empirical. They don't calculate any predicted grade, they just look at grades to date, alongside references, and the rest of the application and take a view on whether you are worth an offer. They'll make a conditional offer on the basis of the grade they want you to get, a prediction is relatively meaningless and certainly not anything they will calculate.

Similarly, they will take a subjective view of modules, and blend it in with all the other evidence they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You are both being too empirical. They don't calculate any predicted grade, they just look at grades to date, alongside references, and the rest of the application and take a view on whether you are worth an offer. They'll make a conditional offer on the basis of the grade they want you to get, a prediction is relatively meaningless and certainly not anything they will calculate.

Similarly, they will take a subjective view of modules, and blend it in with all the other evidence they have.
    Thank you. Much appreciate your response.

In terms of degree results to date, at what point is it pointless applying? My first year results were very poor!!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Much appreciate your response.

In terms of degree results to date, at what point is it pointless applying? My first year results were very poor!!
    If nothing suggests (grades to date, references, quality of research proposal (if required), and any other information submitted) you are in the top 20% of your cohort. Probably only the top 5% are truly competitive, but say top 20% might stand a chance on a good day, on the basis of potential etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    If nothing suggests (grades to date, references, quality of research proposal (if required), and any other information submitted) you are in the top 20% of your cohort. Probably only the top 5% are truly competitive, but say top 20% might stand a chance on a good day, on the basis of potential etc.
    That sounds extremely competitive!! Top 5% will be tough to show without cracking grades...

ReputationRep:
    That sounds extremely competitive!! Top 5% will be tough to show without cracking grades...
    Yep. Oxford. Top notch grades and two stellar academic references - and that's just going to get you longlisted. Given its reputation, you'll be competing in a more global market than most other UK universities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.