Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    My daughter is applying for University to start Sept 2017 and I am wondering how
    our income will be
    taken into account when she applies for her student maintenance loan.
    She lives with myself and my partner and if I take into account his annual income
    (as part of the household income) she may have a lower maintenance grant.
    My partner helps out
    his two sons who are also at University considerably so won't be contributing to my
    my daughter if she needs help with money. This will be done by myself. Can I just
    use my annual income when completing the maintenance grant application
    form?
    Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona1624)
    Hello,
    My daughter is applying for University to start Sept 2017 and I am wondering how
    our income will be
    taken into account when she applies for her student maintenance loan.
    She lives with myself and my partner and if I take into account his annual income
    (as part of the household income) she may have a lower maintenance grant.
    My partner helps out
    his two sons who are also at University considerably so won't be contributing to my
    my daughter if she needs help with money. This will be done by myself. Can I just
    use my annual income when completing the maintenance grant application
    form?
    Thank you
    It needs to be your entire household income - so including your partner.

The fact that he supports 2 other children at university will be taken into account when working out how much household income you're expected to contribute.

If you wanted to base it solely on your income you would need to prove that you don't live together.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information- it clears that up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.