The Student Room Group

Gap Years

I do apologise if there is a subforum for this, but I sure as hell couldn't find.it.

What do people plan to do with their gap years if they are taking them? I am hopefully doing mine with project trust, so I shall be teachiung English in some far off place while trying furiously to learn the language. It would be great to know what other people are doing with theirs (especially if they are doing the same as me).

Hmm, I think I shall include a poll.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gap years sub-forum :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Damn!! :redface:
Reply 3
Hipocrit
I do apologise if there is a subforum for this, but I sure as hell couldn't find.it.

What do people plan to do with their gap years if they are taking them? I am hopefully doing mine with project trust, so I shall be teachiung English in some far off place while trying furiously to learn the language. It would be great to know what other people are doing with theirs (especially if they are doing the same as me).

Hmm, I think I shall include a poll.

I wish i cud take one! :tongue: Lol... but that isn't really possible for me... oh well never mind. I hope to take one at some stage tho... maybe after uni... who knows? Is that a bad idea?
Reply 4
Why cant you take one?
Reply 5
Hipocrit
Damn!! :redface:

don't worry i used to do it all the time :redface:
Reply 6
Hipocrit
Why cant you take one?

because i work full time . no time out for me :-(
Reply 7
Hipocrit
Why cant you take one?

im not allowed to go travelling and such like (what I WUD do if i were to go for a gap year) cos my family think i'm too young and will get murdered/raped/abducted (delete as appplicable) *rolls eyes*
Reply 8
I'm not taking one if I did I would probably be temping or perhaps take a couple of months to travel but then spend the rest of the time working.
Im just finishing my gap yr! worked for most of it, now im takin a couple of months to rest before uni starts!!
well worth takin a yr out....just dont spend most of what you're sposed to be savin....oops :rolleyes:
Reply 10
I have a friend who's gone on a mini gap year - she left more or less straight after her last A2 exam and is coming back in two weeks or so. Sounds like a good plan to me, I'm already planning my 'mini-adventure' backpacking around Europe for 2 or so months.
Reply 11
Working on JK's presidential campaign as a political intern
I think i'll take a year out after my degree and before i do anything else (maybe a PGCE). I'd love to teach English in a foreign country or help at a kids camp or something.
Reply 13
If everything goes to plan, and I manage to earn enough money I hope to do the following in my Gap Year;

Firstly I want to head off to Nepal to do some teaching over there for about 2-3 months, most probably with Teaching and Projects abroad. After that I want to stay in Nepal and complete the Everest Base Camp Trek which takes either 15 days or 21 days depending on where you get your flights from.

Later in the year I would really like to visit Borneo and do the three highest peaks there, but that all depends on my money reverses.
Reply 14
I've done 2 A-Levels in my gap year :tongue:

Fun!
Isn't a gap year a waste of a year? Bleh, so ambitious I just want to start work as soon as possible not delay it by an extra year. Also, there is around 2/3 months free before university which you can spend doing gap year stuff.
Reply 16
I may do one after my first degree. Didn't want to do one straight after A-levels.
Reply 17
happysunshine
Isn't a gap year a waste of a year? Bleh, so ambitious I just want to start work as soon as possible not delay it by an extra year. Also, there is around 2/3 months free before university which you can spend doing gap year stuff.

No not at all, i worked part time for 6 months and managed to save 5K towards uni. Without that money starting uni would have been a real struggle financially. I also ended up having to resit A levels, but aside from that if i do go to uni this year i'll be financially more secure as well as having an extra year in which to mature.

It's a personal thing.
I am going to China for 6 months to teach English. I leave in February and I go with Gap Activity Projects. I'm so excited, will be a once in a lifetime experience. I should find out pretty soon whereabouts I am going and who my partner is going to be.

I am also learning Mandarin Chinese at the moment, and it is very very hard!

"Wo hwei shwo ee-dyar putonghua!"

That is all I can say at the moment. It means "I can speak a little bit of Mandarin!" And I believe that is true :smile:
Reply 19
Can't be arsed before University, but after Uni, I am going to take a Gap Life... :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending