Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Last Summer I graduated with a good degree in History from Sheffield and I am now doing the notorious law conversion course.

Many of my classmates went to the very best institutions in the country, ie UCL, King's, Oxbridge etc, and so I have become anxious about my own prospects knowing that I will be competing with these people for jobs.

Will a degree from Sheffield be given consideration against one from (for example) Bristol or St. Andrews?

How important is university prestige when applying for City graduate schemes and law training contracts?

I must add, I performed very well at A-Level and turned down an offer from Warwick in favour of going to Sheffield - have a shot myself in the foot?

As you can see I have been thinking deeply about this issue and it would be great to finally put my concerns to bed. Also, if I am fabricating problems out of nothing, please feel free to tell me to shut up and stop worrying (I have a tendency to worry about stupid things!)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Student94)
    Hello everyone,

Last Summer I graduated with a good degree in History from Sheffield and I am now doing the notorious law conversion course.

Many of my classmates went to the very best institutions in the country, ie UCL, King's, Oxbridge etc, and so I have become anxious about my own prospects knowing that I will be competing with these people for jobs.

Will a degree from Sheffield be given consideration against one from (for example) Bristol or St. Andrews?

How important is university prestige when applying for City graduate schemes and law training contracts?

I must add, I performed very well at A-Level and turned down an offer from Warwick in favour of going to Sheffield - have a shot myself in the foot?

As you can see I have been thinking deeply about this issue and it would be great to finally put my concerns to bed. Also, if I am fabricating problems out of nothing, please feel free to tell me to shut up and stop worrying (I have a tendency to worry about stupid things!)
    It's important if you're looking solely at the universe of careers where it can play a significant role (e.g. corporate law, front office banking, consulting etc) but.. it's not the be all and end all.

I would say outside of the minute roles available (which probably represent no more than 2-5% of all graduate level jobs) in the aforementioned industries, it means sod all. Even within those industries, Sheffield is a solid contender - case in point, I know graduates from the university who end up in high profile gigs year after year.

And honestly, if you have good a levels and a decent degree + solid intangibles by way of your CV, I don't see how you wouldn't get interviews at the various city law firms out there. It's not like law firms don't regularly visit the university and have no ties to it whatsoever.. We're talking about a pretty solid RG uni all-in-all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.