Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm an MA history student at a top ten Russell Group university. I graduated with a First and top of my year. However, the MA is proving physically and mentally exhausting. I find myself continually crying, overwhelmed by the sheer volume and intensity of work-ahead of me.

To contextualise, my university changed the structure of the MA course for 2016/17, yet failed to update its assessment criteria until after we had already accepted our places. They dramatically changed the requirements of the degree and changed the goal posts from writing 6000 words each term, to 12,000, on top of our thesis. None of this was explained before we began, and module pages were still being updated a week before our arrival.

With great difficulty, and a lot of tears, I was able to complete my term one courses. I receive the results on Thursday and I truly believe this will be a deal breaker as to where or not I continue. Of course I want to get an MA, but at this moment, the prospect of repeating everything I've already done AND more is simply overwhelming. Towards the end of last term I was struggling to complete simple tasks like shower or eat. Having enjoyed a restful Christmas period followed by many tears before my return to uni, I feel like I may slip back into these bad habits.

I dont want to leave; I have a boyfriend of three years here and I am holding down two jobs I love. However, I am so done with academia and it's affect on my mental health. I have incredibly supportive parents and friends, I am only putting pressure on myself.

I just cannot bear the environment anymore. Over summer I completed a work placement within my chosen career sector and absolutely loved it, which has only made me more restless and anxious to leave. I am afraid however, that withdrawing for my masters halfway in order to pursue further employment will not be so easy, and will leave me with unexplained gaps to explain to employees. I am still working two jobs and volunteering at a major London museum but I don't know if that is enough to convince employers I'm not unreliable.

I hope to see the university counselling services asap, but any advice from others in a similar situation would be great!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiositea)
    x
    Could have sworn I replied to this the other day sorry! This sounds horrible, from all angles really. The main thing I'd say is health comes first, and no course, job or anything else is worth sacrificing that. Without your health you can't do anything else. You're seeing uni support services which is great, talk to them and see what they suggest and your GP too. Personally i'd say it's worth dropping out but it's obviously your decision! Employment-wise I wouldn't say there's too much of an issue, only six month gap even ignoring your jobs/volunteering (wow you must be busy ) and they'd struggle to find a graduate without nearly that a lot of the time now. Good luck whatever you decide, really hope it all works out okay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Could have sworn I replied to this the other day sorry! This sounds horrible, from all angles really. The main thing I'd say is health comes first, and no course, job or anything else is worth sacrificing that. Without your health you can't do anything else. You're seeing uni support services which is great, talk to them and see what they suggest and your GP too. Personally i'd say it's worth dropping out but it's obviously your decision! Employment-wise I wouldn't say there's too much of an issue, only six month gap even ignoring your jobs/volunteering (wow you must be busy ) and they'd struggle to find a graduate without nearly that a lot of the time now. Good luck whatever you decide, really hope it all works out okay!
    Thank you so much for the reply ! I've decided to change back to my original dissertation supervisor but for now, simply focus on completing my next two assessments. That will take me up until March after which I will decide whether to carry on with the MA or take the PGDiploma. Thankfully the MA convenor was very supportive and stressed the flexibility of the course, so hopefully I can make it a little bit further x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.