Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to find cheap flights to Johannesburg?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

We are flying to Johannesburg return from Edinburgh in July. We found a return flight on dealchecker for £409 which is the cheapest we've seen so far, but sod's law we decided to wait till we got paid and it's now up to £504!

Is it likely to go down again? Does anyone have any tips about finding cheap flights? One thing I have heard is to search for flights in incognito mode so I always do that...

Help would be much appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked kayak.com ?

Also, would it be cheaper to fly from Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    Skyscanner is the best way to find the cheapest flights, as it lets you search not just by specific dates but by whole months or even over a whole year. You also can search by country- i.e. plugging in 'from UK to South Africa in July' will give a far better overview of what is on offer than 'from Edinburgh to Johannesburg, leaving on 1st July, returning 14th July.' If you can be flexible with dates, Skyscanner is the way to go (though not always 100% accurate- sometimes the price displayed is not the price offered).

Airlines sometimes have sales, Qatar Airways have one right now. July is high season despite being winter in Southern Africa, so you should book early. Skyscanner shows there are fares from Edinburgh to Johannesburg in July for less than £500 return; I haven't found anything for under £400 though. Plenty around £430 from Manchester for a 2/3 week stay; but then you need to factor in the cost of getting to and from the airport.

Worth bearing in mind is that airline sales are rarely global; often they are specific to a particular country. So, for example, British Airways might advertise amazing fares from Dublin to South Africa (via London). It can sometimes be cheaper to take a Ryanair flight to Dublin (or Paris, Amsterdam, wherever) and fly from there rather than flying from the UK; even factoring a night in a hostel and food into the equation. But for July, I'd say £500 is a decent fare and you probably aren't going to get many amazing deals- I'd personally book now rather than waiting on the outside chance of a sale.

ReputationRep:
    Those prices sound around right, esp if changing at IST or somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    That's probably as cheap as it will get. It's incredibly far to get to Joburg, about the same distance as London to Perth Australia.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I can say that this CHEAP FLIGHT SEARCH ENGINE https://uk.lowcost.club/ is the best way to find the cheapest flights. I always use it. I've tried a lot of engines like kayak, Glasgow, but this one is really the cheapest. And when you use this service you don't have to use incognito mode, it's of no use and as for me it's more comfortable. Take care

ReputationRep:
    Also,

it may have just gone up on your device as it was catched that you'd searched before, try a new device.

Failing this, I assume you're a student; go to STA, they have the only airline in the world that are able to print student tickets (something about them buying the rights in the 1950's or something) and they can ticket these themself making them the cheapest most of the time.

The student fares also don't show up on skyscanner because you can't search as a student. Try their website.

Also, it might be that the fare class you wanted sold out on the flight you're looking at and there may be only one seat available at the cheaper price, have a look at this too and then you guys could spilt the difference down the middle.

ReputationRep:
    I just had a quick look and with STA student flights with Qatar there are still flights available for just over 400.

There may have been a sale that ended too if you cant get exactly down to $407

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.