Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has political upheaval made you anxious for the future? Watch

• View Poll Results: Has political upheaval made you anxious for the future?
    Definitely - my goals feel harder to achieve
    57.84%
    Not at all
    42.16%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben.anderson)
    Blimey, I thought I had right-wing views!!
    Yes, unfortunately liberals need to be told as firmly and as harshly as possible just how pathetic their cowardly "safe space" culture is, or they just wouldn't get the point.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The best what everyone can do is to trust in your own way and don't get intimidate by the others. I did it everytime, I did it when I was in an age between 16 and 25 years and I still do that in presence now. I have the courage to go on my own path. If no one has this courage, the believe in own convicitions gets lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    The best what everyone can do is to trust in your own way and don't get intimidate by the others. I did it everytime, I did it when I was in an age between 16 and 25 years and I still do that in presence now. I have the courage to go on my own path. If no one has this courage, the believe in own convicitions get lost, if this one get lost.
    So true.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    So true.
    Yeah, if people are not afraid of the future, but living the life in presence and enjoy it instead, it would be much easier for them.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing young people have to fear is not working hard enough. Sad as it is to say, the socioeconomic impacts of Brexit/Trump will be felt most keenly by the lowly-educated and low-paid working class. As long as this generation of ours gets to University and gets a good degree, they have nothing to fear since as we all know, doctors/scientists/etc are at a premium no matter the economic situation.

Honestly I'm glad young people are worried since I know that statistically 'young people' know very little/nothing about politics and economics and it is refreshing to see us get a little more interested.

Personally I think that they should only survey people that can give a objective summery of Brexit but then 99.9% of young people would be left out.

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing that so many people had those concerns then thought that maintaining the status quo that gave them the concerns is the best way to go.

(Original post by Len Goodman)
      Young liberal millennials need to stop moaning and man up.

Lets hope we get some good, solid, hard-right governments in place before it's time for generation snowflake to come to the forefront.
      The liberality (liberalness?) of the 'Millenial' generation is greatly overstated.

In actual fact, going by the US, and I'd expect this to be true in the UK too, there is little evidence to suggest that white Millenials are much less racially biased than their parents, and there is even evidence to suggest that Millenials are more right-wing in many areas than the previous generation (Generation X) was when they were at the Millenial's age (ie when Generation X was the youngest generation).

In continental Europe, the Millenial generation is the most supportive of the far-right in many countries, for example in France.
      • Welcome Squad

there are certain things that i had planned to do that i cannot now straight away due to government changes. the government has made it more difficult which does make me somewhat anxious however, i am making the most out of what i have atm and that is going to help me in the future so that i can follow my plans through. so yes, they do make me anxious, but i just gotta deal with it and keep going

ReputationRep:
      Not at all. I voted to leave the EU and I could see trump winning once I knew Hillary was getting selected. None of it worries me at all.

ReputationRep:
      I don't want to live with the dumb f*cks who've voted to destroy the UK, or give my taxes to fund their job-dodging/blame everyone lifestyle.
      When you resort to needlessly insulting people who are just going out and voting, you have already failed miserably.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by discobish)
      The Prince's Trust have released some new research which indicates that young people's self-confidence is at its lowest ebb in eight years

After surveying over 2000 16-25 year olds, over half revealed that political events had made them fear for their futures, with 41% more anxious than they were a year ago.

Key findings showed:

- 50% felt it was harder to get a job than a year ago;

- 42% felt traditional goals like home ownership or a steady job were unrealistic;

- 34% felt they were likely to have a worse standard of living than their parents;

- 28% felt out of control of their lives :shock:

(full story can be found here)

Have you felt any of the above worries after a difficult 2016?

Do you feel your goals are now harder to achieve?

How do you think young peoples' confidence can be given a boost for the future?
      No I wanted brexit.
      I wanted a trump win
      I want lepen to win in France.

I feel in control of my life as much as I did before.
      It's just as easy to get a job
      I will be buying my own home (it's called a budget people).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Life_peer)
      lol

Access to information is a double-edged sword. Young people have the world's knowledge at their fingertips, yet most of them choose to sit around and ***** about everything all the time, commenting on things they don't understand, and of course wasting time playing video games or watching the twentieth iteration of that classic sitcom from the 80s.

The word “felt” is used very well in this instance because that's what the main issue is: they feel instead of think.
      The younger generation are extremely pessimistic because we've been left to sort out a giant mess that the older generation put us in - and then they tell us not to complain!
      While the older generation sat back and ignorantly continued with their comfortable lifestyles and let climate change gradually worsen - we're left to deal with the impacts. It's our future that's affected.
      The older generation overwhelmingly voted Brexit - which affects OUR future. So forgive me if we're angry that the majority of younger people voted Remain, yet the older generation decided on our future for us.
      Our future looks pretty bleak from the position that the older generation has put us in, and we're left to sort out their mess.
      SO SORRY if we complain, we really should be positive bundles of ignorant sunshine all the time because if we do voice our opinions, we're quickly shut down by older people who tell us we don't understand!
      SO SORRY that we're told to grow up and act mature, but when we try to voice our opinions and have mature debates, we're not even considered because 'we're too young, we don't understand, we should go back to our video games and let the adults talk'.
      We don't have a voice and it's incredibly frustrating, so I'm so so so sorry if you can't handle the fact that we aren't oblivious happy little children that have so much hope for the world.

ReputationRep:
      When did Liberal become synonymous with wimp? I'm a Liberal but think safe spaces are for children.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by whoisme)
      The younger generation are extremely pessimistic because we've been left to sort out a giant mess that the older generation put us in - and then they tell us not to complain!
      While the older generation sat back and ignorantly continued with their comfortable lifestyles and let climate change gradually worsen - we're left to deal with the impacts. It's our future that's affected.
      The older generation overwhelmingly voted Brexit - which affects OUR future. So forgive me if we're angry that the majority of younger people voted Remain, yet the older generation decided on our future for us.
      Our future looks pretty bleak from the position that the older generation has put us in, and we're left to sort out their mess.
      SO SORRY if we complain, we really should be positive bundles of ignorant sunshine all the time because if we do voice our opinions, we're quickly shut down by older people who tell us we don't understand!
      SO SORRY that we're told to grow up and act mature, but when we try to voice our opinions and have mature debates, we're not even considered because 'we're too young, we don't understand, we should go back to our video games and let the adults talk'.
      We don't have a voice and it's incredibly frustrating, so I'm so so so sorry if you can't handle the fact that we aren't oblivious happy little children that have so much hope for the world.
      Hahaha, you must be joking! The younger generation who are so useless they can't even choose a decent subject but waste their time on women's studies or whatever nonsense, live their lives on the internet, protest against banalities, and generally don't have the slightest clue about how the world around them works? These clueless opinionated muppets seriously want to compare themselves with those who invested a lot of measurable effort into building this country, developing infrastructure for your lazy arses, and earlier winning the war so you wouldn't suffer from the same kind of oppression they did? If you so overwhelmingly support the EU, you obviously do not understand, mate.

I also presume you're a hardwired liberal, correct? In that case, feel free to observe the biggest catch of democracy that you guys claim is so important: it suddenly becomes the worst idea ever when you find yourself on the minor side of the barricade.

You and your tumblrina comrades have more voice than you deserve.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChargingStag)
      When you resort to needlessly insulting people who are just going out and voting, you have already failed miserably.
      Hit a nerve did I?

Not a snowflake, then?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ben.anderson)
      Blimey, I thought I had right-wing views!!
      the right and left are just as bad as each other. Just with opposing view points
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Voted: Not at all.

Brexit doesn't stop my plans, except that I am planning to transfer my butt to Europe once uni finishes instead of spending the rest of my life in the UK.

I don't want to live with the dumb f*cks who've voted to destroy the UK, or give my taxes to fund their job-dodging/blame everyone lifestyle.
      It's narrow-minded to say the people who voted leave are "dumb f*cks".

The only one being dumb (ignorant is probably a better word) is you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by whoisme)
      Clearly us youngsters didn't care personally I voted for brexit and would again but under 25's had the lowest turn out

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      The liberality (liberalness?) of the 'Millenial' generation is greatly overstated.

In actual fact, going by the US, and I'd expect this to be true in the UK too, there is little evidence to suggest that white Millenials are much less racially biased than their parents, and there is even evidence to suggest that Millenials are more right-wing in many areas than the previous generation (Generation X) was when they were at the Millenial's age (ie when Generation X was the youngest generation).

In continental Europe, the Millenial generation is the most supportive of the far-right in many countries, for example in France.
      I love that, in your lexicon, racial bias and right-wing are just interchangeable.

(Original post by Abdukazam)
      When did Liberal become synonymous with wimp? I'm a Liberal but think safe spaces are for children.
      They have videos of frolicking puppies and therapeutic colouring books and play-doh. Anyone who doesn't think they're for children is mentally inhibited.

(Original post by jape)
        I love that, in your lexicon, racial bias and right-wing are just interchangeable.
        Nowhere in that post did I imply that; I did, however, imply that being non-liberal was related to being racially biased.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.