Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Northern Ireland: Deputy First Minister McGuinness to resign Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    'Martin McGuinness has said he will resign as Northern Ireland's deputy first minister in protest against the handling of a botched heating scheme that could cost taxpayers £490m.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38561507

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...first-minister

I'm really not surprised. With Arlene Foster's refusal to step aside even temporarily while an investigation is carried out into the heating scheme scandal, and mounting pressure, Sinn Féin had to something.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the upcoming election. Will there be a focus on Brexit or on the heating scheme scandal? Will the numbers change?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    'Martin McGuinness has said he will resign as Northern Ireland's deputy first minister in protest against the handling of a botched heating scheme that could cost taxpayers £490m.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38561507

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...first-minister

I'm really not surprised. With Arlene Foster's refusal to step aside even temporarily while an investigation is carried out into the heating scheme scandal, and mounting pressure, Sinn Féin had to something.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the upcoming election. Will there be a focus on Brexit or on the heating scheme scandal? Will the numbers change?
    You beat me to it

This will be interesting...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    adam9317 DMcGovern your thoughts on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    when the heat is on...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You beat me to it

This will be interesting...
    I was on the phone to home when I saw it, couldn't resist. Have you seen this? :laugh:

https://twitter.com/UlsterFryNI/stat...99770665402368

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    when the heat is on...

It is like the Deputy First Minister has thrown a bomb at the NI Government, let's face it, just like he used to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    It is like the Deputy First Minister has thrown a bomb at the NI Government, lets face, it is just like he used to....
    and on that bombshell....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    It is like the Deputy First Minister has thrown a bomb at the NI Government, let's face it, just like he used to do...
    Old habits die hard.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I was on the phone to home when I saw it, couldn't resist. Have you seen this? :laugh:

https://twitter.com/UlsterFryNI/stat...99770665402368
    "eejits"
    :toofunny:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    "eejits"
    :toofunny:
    I just can't over how good our accent sounds like as robots. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely surprising. I wonder if Arlene resigns will Sinn Fein renominate someone and we'll avoid an early election? Although I don't think Arlene is going anywhere unfortunately. Will be very interesting to see how events play out!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Not entirely surprising. I wonder if Arlene resigns will Sinn Fein renominate someone and we'll avoid an early election? Although I don't think Arlene is going anywhere unfortunately. Will be very interesting to see how events play out!
    I think Arlene won't resign, she seems to be sticking to her guns. But if she did and if Sinn Féin renominated someone back, they would look like fools.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    she seems to be sticking to her guns.
    ahem...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    ahem...
    The gun and bomb puns are amazing when it comes to Norn Iron, I can't stop laughing :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I think Arlene won't resign, she seems to be sticking to her guns. But if she did and if Sinn Féin renominated someone back, they would look like fools.
    Yep, I can't see her resigning and I kinda looking forward to another election, I can't imagine The DUP will do that well in it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Yep, I can't see her resigning and I kinda looking forward to another election, I can't imagine The DUP will do that well in it.
    I'm curious to see how People for Profit will do. I am secretly hoping Eamon McCann doesn't get reelected. Gobshite.

ReputationRep:
    Good for Martin, suspect health was a bit of a factor but Arlene thought he'd called his bluff, so he did the right thing and kept his word. I just hope people vote on different lines, hard to imagine DUP voters voting UUP but one can hope.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Good for Martin, suspect health was a bit of a factor but Arlene thought he'd called his bluff, so he did the right thing and kept his word. I just hope people vote on different lines, hard to imagine DUP voters voting UUP but one can hope.
    Aye, friend of mine saw Martin in Derry a bit ago and it's easy to tell he's getting on a bit. I'm glad Sinn Féin stood their ground against the DUP.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, friend of mine saw Martin in Derry a bit ago and it's easy to tell he's getting on a bit. I'm glad Sinn Féin stood their ground against the DUP.
    Agree with your earlier point, election could be ironic in that anti-Stormont sentiment eats into SF seats lost to PBP while DUP votes may well stay solid. Imagine!

Hopefully the election leads to a party pledging to remove the Petition of Concern.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Agree with your earlier point, election could be ironic in that anti-Stormont sentiment eats into SF seats lost to PBP while DUP votes may well stay solid. Imagine!

Hopefully the election leads to a party pledging to remove the Petition of Concern.
    Or UUP make a comeback :moon: Scary thought that. It's going to be rather interesting.

Oh, yes, definitely. The Petition of Concern needs to go, it's destroying Stormont.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.