Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Northern Ireland: Deputy First Minister McGuinness to resign Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    adam9317 DMcGovern your thoughts on the matter?
    Obviously I am not a fan of him and his party; but I don't know if this is the right way to go about it. So what happens, an election is called; resulting in a similar outcome give or take a few seats; and then we are back to square 1.

His health is not good at all. I had heard people say he wasn't well, but I hadn't listened to him speak until today; I'm getting vibes of something neurological, perhaps Alzheimer or dementia.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, he didn't look or sound good at all today. There is definitely something
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Obviously I am not a fan of him and his party; but I don't know if this is the right way to go about it. So what happens, an election is called; resulting in a similar outcome give or take a few seats; and then we are back to square 1.

His health is not good at all. I had heard people say he wasn't well, but I hadn't listened to him speak until today; I'm getting vibes of something neurological, perhaps Alzheimer or dementia.
    I think TBM's point on a party campaigning on the removal of the Petition of Concern is interesting. If we got rid of that, things would be done. But only if Arlene was not so stubborn...:rolleyes:

He has a pacemaker now, apparently. Don't take my word for it though, that's just what I've heard. No sign of anything serious though from his wife's facebook though.

ReputationRep:
    Or UUP make a comeback :moon: Scary thought that. It's going to be rather interesting.

Oh, yes, definitely. The Petition of Concern needs to go, it's destroying Stormont.
    Actually think the UUP have improved, impressed by some of their policies actually and see them now as reasonably close to Alliance. Like the SDLP only without the tag of being Stoops. Would consider voting UUP myself tbh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Actually think the UUP have improved, impressed by some of their policies actually and see them now as reasonably close to Alliance. Like the SDLP only without the tag of being Stoops. Would consider voting UUP myself tbh.
    I can't stand Mike Nesbitt, unfortunately.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    adam9317 DMcGovern your thoughts on the matter?
    North: We couldn't possibly have another First Minister as corrupt as Peter Robinson what with his dodgy £5 land deal, covering up Iris' payments to Kirk, NAMA etc
    Arlene Foster: Hold my beer

McGuinness is gone

https://www.facebook.com/BELFASTLAD/...6655279206094/

Good on Sinn Féin to be honest, it's about time. Got an update from them just before he announced his resignation:

Why it has come to this point
    When the DUP entered government on the basis of partnership with Sinn Féin in May 2007 it did so because it recognised that was the only basis upon which it would exercise political power. In the years since then the DUP has adopted a negative approach to many important issues facing the powersharing Executive to serve a unionist agenda and objectives. At times there has been a calculated and tactical refusal by it to make the Executive work through partnership and in an inclusive and collective way. The DUP’s attitude in government has often been marked by an arrogance which ignores the rights of others.

None of this should surprise us.

The fact is that senior DUP figures have always been ideologically and culturally opposed to powersharing and partnership government with Sinn Féin. They are unionists. They have sought to use the political institutions to oppose parity for the Irish language and identity; promote institutional bigotry; to ridicule and reject the need for reconciliation; and hold back progress on dealing with the past.
    Our relationship with political unionism will always be determined by these issues until political conditions are changed.

Sinn Féin’s job is to create those changes as a transition to Irish Unity.

RHI Scandal must be addressed
    Our approach to the RHI scandal has been to urgently address the loss of public confidence and the resulting loss to the public purse due to the corruption and abuse; and presided over by DUP ministers, including that Party’s leader. To that end Sinn Féin has set out as absolute conditions that the DUP leader must step aside as First Minister in order to allow for an independent, transparent, robust, time framed investigative process, overseen by an independent judicial figure, from outside the north, with the necessary powers to compel witnesses and evidence.

The Sinn Féin proposal is the optimum approach to get to the full truth of this situation, in a time bound and cost effective manner. Our model requires bespoke legislation to confer the powers of compellability on the investigation panel. While the DUP have stated that they now accept this the DUP leader continues to refuse to step aside.

The DUP leader has a clear conflict of interest. She was the Minister responsible for the RHI scheme from its inception. She oversaw its operation for almost three years as Minister. Warnings from energy companies and the Ulster Farmers Union about the scheme were ignored, as were warnings from whistle blowers and others about the potential for abuse, corruption, and fraud. The failure to act on these warnings and the stripping out of cost controls has led to the largest potential loss to the taxpayer of any government scheme in the history of the northern state.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand Mike Nesbitt, unfortunately.
    Actually I've heard he's sound enough.

Plus a mate of mine is standing for the UUP.

ReputationRep:
    When would the election be? I would like to see Alliance doing well and hopefully the Greens get a few more seats!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Actually I've heard he's sound enough.

Plus a mate of mine is standing for the UUP.
    I don't like how he talks. Bugs me a little. But the UUP are better than what they were, so good luck to your friend!

ReputationRep:
    I don't like how he talks. Bugs me a little. But the UUP are better than what they were, so good luck to your friend!
    He WAS a journalist, but he too gives that vibe, apparently it's not accurate.

Gregory Campbell I've heard IS exactly what you expect.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    He WAS a journalist, but he too gives that vibe, apparently it's not accurate.

Gregory Campbell I've heard IS exactly what you expect.
    Oh, he is, I had to suffer through him once a few years ago.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Interested to read that at least he's not orange. So that's something anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    When would the election be? I would like to see Alliance doing well and hopefully the Greens get a few more seats!
    Based on the timings given, unless a solution would be worked out we looking at beginning of March, likely the first Thursday!

Plus, we are down to 5 seats in a constituency from this next election, at the expense of the smaller parties!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Based on the timings given, unless a solution would be worked out we looking at beginning of March, likely the first Thursday!

Plus, we are down to 5 seats in a constituency from this next election, at the expense of the smaller parties!
    I was thinking it would be around then. I totally forgot about that! Will that come into affect this election??
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking it would be around then. I totally forgot about that! Will that come into affect this election??
    Yes, I understand it will
    • TSR Support Team

Officially gone
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38561507
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Interesting stuff, the trend since 2010 though has tended to be in the DUP's favour.

With Brexit coming quickly afterwards (literally a month or so for article 50) it will be interesting to see if it impacts the election and if so which way. I don't know about the UUP but the DUP are staunchly Brexit so perhaps they can try rally some of that vote.

Yep, I can't see her resigning and I kinda looking forward to another election, I can't imagine The DUP will do that well in it.
    I can't speak for NI but last May the net swing was from Sinn Fein to the DUP.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What's your stance on the Irish question. I recall you having a somewhat complicated opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I can't see her resigning and I kinda looking forward to another election, I can't imagine The DUP will do that well in it.
    If the DUP loses seats, they will need UUP support to keep the First Ministership and the price of that support will be Foster's head on a platter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Interesting stuff, the trend since 2010 though has tended to be in the DUP's favour.

With Brexit coming quickly afterwards (literally a month or so for article 50) it will be interesting to see if it impacts the election and if so which way. I don't know about the UUP but the DUP are staunchly Brexit so perhaps they can try rally some of that vote.

I can't speak for NI but last May the net swing was from Sinn Fein to the DUP.
    Every other party bar PBP was Remain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.