Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Northern Ireland: Deputy First Minister McGuinness to resign Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    I do like the speed she talks at
    So do I, but I'm worried that she might suffocate due to not breathing :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    My money is on Michelle O'Neill. Plus have you seen the rate at which she talks in the assembly!
    Hopefully so.

ReputationRep:
    Given his health it is a sensible decision. The sour taste is left by him not expressing some form of regret at all the lives lost from those whose actions he supported in the 70s and 80s.

ReputationRep:
    Sinn Fein really need to use this as an opportunity to go through a shakeup:
    - Make sure the new leader is someone from the younger generation. Whatever you think of it, the Troubles is 20 years gone now and increasingly irrelevant. Young first-time voters at the coming election will have only known peace. Sinn Fein need to look like a party that fits with that.
    - Give up the petty abstentionism. Plenty of small-r republicans, including those in the SNP and Plaid Cymru, have sat in Westminster. Dennis Skinner, for instance, makes it very clear that he sees the Oath of Allegiance as a joke that he's merely required to say under duress to take his seat, as did Tony Benn and Tony Banks in the past. Sinn Fein should do the same.
    - On a similar note, say "Northern Ireland" sometimes rather than the painfully forced circumlocutions like "the North" or "the North of Ireland". Definitely give up on "the six counties". "Northern Ireland" is just a geographically descriptive term. Even if you insist on writing it "northern Ireland", at least that's progress.
    - End this silly split personality stuff. We have this weird situation where Sinn Fein in the Republic of Ireland, in opposition, acts as clearly left-wing soft Eurosceptic party, the kind I would like to vote for, whereas Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland, in power, just copies whatever policies Fine Gael or Fianna Fail are pursuing in Dublin for the sake of making the two sides of the border as symmetrical as possible. If you're going to be one party for the whole island, then have one party platform and stick to it, rather than dropping anything that can only be enacted on one side of the border.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    My money is on Michelle O'Neill. Plus have you seen the rate at which she talks in the assembly!
    You called it!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38715524

(Original post by Airmed)
    Does that woman even know how to breathe? :laugh:
    I hadn't heard her before - lol!

20 minutes of her in the Assembly...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQbXsHYaT0
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You called it!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38715524

I hadn't heard her before - lol!

20 minutes of her in the Assembly...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQbXsHYaT0
    She was always going to be the one

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, O'Neill was always favourite tbh.

Unionists have greeted her well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    SDLP telling us to vote SDLP 1) and UUP 2)

Hmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    SDLP telling us to vote SDLP 1) and UUP 2)

Hmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you surprised? SDLP and UUP would love to be back in power-sharing once more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    It is like the Deputy First Minister has thrown a bomb at the NI Government, let's face it, just like he used to do...
    tbh Stormont needs this like a hole in the head.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    tbh Stormont needs this like a hole in the head.
    Or knee...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Are you surprised? SDLP and UUP would love to be back in power-sharing once more
    But yet both parties which scream "liberal elite" in NI terms.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As much as i despise Sinn Fein this at least removes the terrorist from leadership and brings in somebody who has known peace most of her adult life. Just a few more terrorists on the benches to get rid of and that chapter will be over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.