Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all. I'm finding it quite hard, near impossible to structure my essays for my A level History, Sociology and Politics papers to the degree that is required of me (A/Bs) My contextual knowledge is far superior to my essay writing skills. Anybody care to help upon this matter?

ReputationRep:
    I'm willing to help if I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tennysons_maud)
    I'm willing to help if I can
    The issue surrounds constructing my arguments. I find it near enough impossible to hit the criteria needed for top end grades and only hit it on occasions of luck. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    You mean explaining your support for one historical theory over another, and supporting this with relevant quotes and evaluation of said quotes?

ReputationRep:
    You mean explaining your support for one historical theory over another, and supporting this with relevant quotes and evaluation of said quotes?
    Precisely! As stated I find it incredibly hard to do so in a convincing manner. Any tips or exact steps that yourself would recommend for achieving essay success?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the kind of question. For instance, for History, if it's a question that specifies dates, I would write in chronological order (ie say all events that happened between 1800-1850 Ireland). For Politics, there is two ways. You can do the 'for/positive' argument first and then the 'against/negative' argument; or do 'for/positive' and 'against/negative' at the same time.

For more help on History essay writing (which can be adapted for others) is here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRD99)
    Precisely! As stated I find it incredibly hard to do so in a convincing manner. Any tips or exact steps that yourself would recommend for achieving essay success?
    I find it hard to advise you on how to do this because it seems so natural to me . . . I could PM you one of my history essays (I've just started my A level course) that's focused on evaluating sources to support an answer that I got an A on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRD99)
    Hello all. I'm finding it quite hard, near impossible to structure my essays for my A level History, Sociology and Politics papers to the degree that is required of me (A/Bs) My contextual knowledge is far superior to my essay writing skills. Anybody care to help upon this matter?
    What exam board are you using for sociology? I do sociology as well

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to advise you on how to do this because it seems so natural to me . . . I could PM you one of my history essays (I've just started my A level course) that's focused on evaluating sources to support an answer that I got an A on?
    Ah no worries my friend, thank you for the attempted advice anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_Hope_X)
    What exam board are you using for sociology? I do sociology as well
    The exam board is AQA

ReputationRep:
    If you're willing to send out an example essay, I'd certainly be a willing recipient please!

Thanks for the advice as well.
    Banana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRD99)
    The exam board is AQA
    Oh same.
    I won't be much help to you sorry As I'm not great at writing essays and giving my own opinions and arguements. But what I can suggest is stick closely to the A01, AO2, AO3 and give you're own arguments for and against a perspective. You're own ideas for perspectives should develop by discussions in class and wider reading.
    How are you finding sociology anyway ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh same.
    I won't be much help to you sorry As I'm not great at writing essays and giving my own opinions and arguements. But what I can suggest is stick closely to the A01, AO2, AO3 and give you're own arguments for and against a perspective. You're own ideas for perspectives should develop by discussions in class and wider reading.
    How are you finding sociology anyway ?
    No problem friend. I find that first year of sociology was much easier than second year, as media and crime and deviance are easy to forget about in my opinion. First year stuff however, seems to stay in my memory for a long time. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I would like to say I'm a competent essay writer, I get A/A* in my essays at college so I'm happy to help.
    I think the most important thing is building up a strong cogent argument, this can be done by linking what you're writing to the question consistently to make sure that you're precise and focused.
    Terminology is very important, make sure you're using appropriate jargon and mature language. Thus, therefore, furthermore. It may seem silly but is so important in making a fluid argument. Don't worry about sounding pretentious, because it's an essay. You want to show off your writing skills and ability to convince people.
    A good skill for History and Politics specifically is to give the other side of the argument first and then break it down. This will strengthen your argument and also ensure that you don't contradict yourself.
    Hope this helped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    Hi there! I would like to say I'm a competent essay writer, I get A/A* in my essays at college so I'm happy to help.
    I think the most important thing is building up a strong cogent argument, this can be done by linking what you're writing to the question consistently to make sure that you're precise and focused.
    Terminology is very important, make sure you're using appropriate jargon and mature language. Thus, therefore, furthermore. It may seem silly but is so important in making a fluid argument. Don't worry about sounding pretentious, because it's an essay. You want to show off your writing skills and ability to convince people.
    A good skill for History and Politics specifically is to give the other side of the argument first and then break it down. This will strengthen your argument and also ensure that you don't contradict yourself.
    Hope this helped?
    Thank you! I have never used the system of putting the other side of the argument first, however I will try it soon! All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRD99)
    No problem friend. I find that first year of sociology was much easier than second year, as media and crime and deviance are easy to forget about in my opinion. First year stuff however, seems to stay in my memory for a long time. Yourself?
    Ohh you're in year 13?
    Yeah I really like suciolog , I find it very interesting espically the education side of it all. But I'm struggling to remember so many of the scholars ideas, I'm doing psychology which has a LOT to memorise as well so it makes stuff even harder. Also I find it hard to structure the king essay answers like the 20 markers

ReputationRep:
    Ohh you're in year 13?
    Yeah I really like suciolog , I find it very interesting espically the education side of it all. But I'm struggling to remember so many of the scholars ideas, I'm doing psychology which has a LOT to memorise as well so it makes stuff even harder. Also I find it hard to structure the king essay answers like the 20 markers
    Yeah, first year was a lot easier than second. I agree, there is so much to cover with the theorists and such, but if you have problems remembering them try to get your key thinkers, such as Parsons and Murdoch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRD99)
    Hey, i really struggled with writing essay at A levels. Being an English Lit it wasnt great. sent my work to mybuddyed.com, they looked through and gave detailed feedback for free. Picked out tons of mistakes. Finished with a B in english. They should be able to help with your structure as well. PM me if anything else. : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRD99)
    I've done AQA AS Sociology as I'm in A2 now. For Sociology I write an introduction including the item-just reference the line number rather than writing a quote word for word, as this will save time. For the paragraphs I use my own acronym of DPECE. This stands for define(a key word), point, evidence (I.e. a study/theory), compare (with other studies or theories), and finally evaluate (say why the theory is credible).

Here's a brief example of DPECE
    D: meritocracy is a belief that there are equal opportunities in order to achieve the same goal
    P:Functionalists believe that the education system is meritocratic
    E:This is backed up by Durkheim's explanation/ organ analogy of society having infrastructures that are based on a value consensus
    C: However Marxists such as althusser would criticise Durkheim's view as he argues that the bourgeoisie prevent equal opportunities for working class pupils via an ideological state apparatus (e.g. a school) to instil a false consciousness of meritocracy.
    Eowever marketisation for state schools suggests working class pupils are given suggests some people with authority (such as teachers) will go to lengths to ensure working class pupils aren't denied opportunities in education.

Finally you needs to write a conclusion. If you unsure of what to write make a brief summary of each relevant theory but ALWAYS relate this to the question being asked.

As for history and politics you could probably still use DPECE but maybe change this to DPEEA (Definition, point, evidence, evaluation, application). Other than that I can't offer much more guidance on history and politics as the other subjects I do are law and psychology.

Hope this helps

If you have any more questions or queries PM me, although I may take two weeks to reply as I don't use tsr very often.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.