Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Yesterday, i read in the book "Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning"
    that testing is the most effective way of learning.
    Scientists conduct an experiment. Two groups of children. First group studied as
    usually.
    Second group take tests on the begining and in the end of lessons, and
    this group got higher mark
    So, i decice to create a website, where everyone can take test on different themes,
    prepare for GCSE and other exams, examine yourself, and see what you know and what don't

What do you think about this ?
    It makes sense?

yh it makes sense eventhough am **** at tests and I do better in classwork

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nick9956)
      Hi,
      Yesterday, i read in the book "Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning"
      that testing is the most effective way of learning.
      Scientists conduct an experiment. Two groups of children. First group studied as
      usually.
      Second group take tests on the begining and in the end of lessons, and
      this group got higher mark
      So, i decice to create a website, where everyone can take test on different themes,
      prepare for GCSE and other exams, examine yourself, and see what you know and what don't

What do you think about this ?
      It makes sense?
      So those who practiced on tests did better on tests... amazing

ReputationRep:
      I think that this thread title is rather ambiguous.

I am currently writing my dissertation on testing.

Practising tests is most like the best way to prepare for tests (they are a test of memory and questions are likely repeated year on year with a difference to wording).

But I would argue practising tests is not the best way to learn. For me learning is having a deeper level of understanding and skills that will help beyond exam results.

ReputationRep:
      Group that practised tests did better at tests. ****ing revolutionary, maybe people should go wild and do past exams papers for revision? :O revolutionary

My philosopher teacher tells me that the best way of learning concepts is to teach them to other people by far, but idk what his source is. Works for me really well tho. This article I just found is semi-related:

http://www.futurity.org/learning-stu...aching-741342/

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by calm down)
      I think that this thread title is rather ambiguous.

I am currently writing my dissertation on testing.

Practising tests is most like the best way to prepare for tests (they are a test of memory and questions are likely repeated year on year with a difference to wording).

But I would argue practising tests is not the best way to learn. For me learning is having a deeper level of understanding and skills that will help beyond exam results.
      please read paragraph about testing in this book "Make it stick"
      testing give you an oportunity to know what you learned well, and what material
      you forget. It is very important in education
      Regularly testing ( question can change) coerce you always remember the material

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
      Group that practised tests did better at tests. ****ing revolutionary, maybe people should go wild and do past exams papers for revision? :O revolutionary

My philosopher teacher tells me that the best way of learning concepts is to teach them to other people by far, but idk what his source is. Works for me really well tho. This article I just found is semi-related:

http://www.futurity.org/learning-stu...aching-741342/
      i thought that testing is not important too,
      but after reading this book "Make it stick" my opinion was changed.
      Testing is a quick way to recall the material in memory, make your
      knowledge stronger, you can see what you forgot and what you know well

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nick9956)
      i thought that testing is not important too,
      but after reading this book "Make it stick" my opinion was changed.
      Testing is a quick way to recall the material in memory, make your
      knowledge stronger, you can see what you forgot and what you know well
      My point was that the experiment these guys have done hasn't shown anything accept that practising tests makes people better at tests. Which is blatantly obvious.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.