Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS law 'but for' rule Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so i have my AS exam tommrow for law
    confused about the 'but for' rule
    also how do you know whether to use criminal law or civil law?and which case and 'but for' rule to use
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    x

ReputationRep:
    The 'but-for' rule is the way a defendant is only guilty if the consequence would not have happened but-for the defendants act or conduct.

Case Examples:

Pagett 1983
    In this case the defendant used his pregnant girlfriend as a human shield when being shot at by armed police. He was convicted of manslaughter because she would not have died but-for him using her as a human shield. So the armed police were not at fault.

White 1910
    This is the opposite of the but-for rule. The defendant put cyanide in his mothers drink intending to kill her. Before she drank it she died of a heart attack. The defendant was found not guilty of murder but was found guilty of attempted murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max_p)
    The 'but-for' rule is the way a defendant is only guilty if the consequence would not have happened but-for the defendants act or conduct.

Case Examples:

Pagett 1983
    In this case the defendant used his pregnant girlfriend as a human shield when being shot at by armed police. He was convicted of manslaughter because she would not have died but-for him using her as a human shield. So the armed police were not at fault.

White 1910
    This is the opposite of the but-for rule. The defendant put cyanide in his mothers drink intending to kill her. Before she drank it she died of a heart attack. The defendant was found not guilty of murder but was found guilty of attempted murder.

Hi guy I'm self teaching myself As law I want to ask if for As law for the exams do I need to learn ALL topics on Law Making ( parliamentary law making, delegated Leg etc)and legal system( The civil courts and other forms of ADR, The legal profession etc) Do we need to cover all the topics in depth or can I just choose 2 topics from each for example law making I can focus on parliamentary law making and delegated leg and for legal system I can focus on the civil court and other forms of ADR and the legal profession please help me I need help thanks everyone in advance

ReputationRep:
    The defendant can only be guilty if the consequences would not have happened “but for his/her” act. For example, in the Pagett case, the victim would not have died ‘but for’ the defendants actions (using her as a human shield).

Obviously when answering go into more detail. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undefined..)
    The defendant can only be guilty if the consequences would not have happened “but for his/her” act. For example, in the Pagett case, the victim would not have died ‘but for’ the defendants actions (using her as a human shield).

Obviously when answering go into more detail. Hope this helps!

Hi do you do As Law? because i would like to ask you some questions that i need hhelp with, if you do please let me know thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.