Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I just got one of my ISA results today. Is 43/50 good in an ISA? It was Chemistry and I do Triple Science. I genuinely do not know. Also, how would I have to do in the others units to secure an A*? How does this UMS score system work? That's it...If someone answers these questions I will be really thankful. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So Triple Science is worth three different qualifications, one for each of the three sciences.

Chemistry is split into 4 units and across all 4 units you would need a UMS score of 360/400 - which is equivalent to 90 out of 100 UMS on each unit. 43 marks, last year, would have been equal to 88 UMS. Therefore you would need 272/300 UMS across the three chemistry exams. However, 43 marks this year may be worth more or less UMS.

UMS itself changes your raw mark to a number out of 100 (with sciences). The way they change it is they look at how the year group did nationally and then create grade boundaries from the raw marks. These raw marks are then changed to UMS where the grade boundaries always stay the same (90 - A*, 80 - A, 70 - B etc). They then allocate each raw mark a UMS score depending on how far you where from each grade boundary.

Here is a UMS converter for AQA if you want to have a look at how raw marks are converted to UMS scores.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ.../ums-converter
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    So Triple Science is worth three different qualifications, one for each of the three sciences.

Chemistry is split into 4 units and across all 4 units you would need a UMS score of 360/400 - which is equivalent to 90 out of 100 UMS on each unit. 43 marks, last year, would have been equal to 88 UMS. Therefore you would need 272/300 UMS across the three chemistry exams. However, 43 marks this year may be worth more or less UMS.

UMS itself changes your raw mark to a number out of 100 (with sciences). The way they change it is they look at how the year group did nationally and then create grade boundaries from the raw marks. These raw marks are then changed to UMS where the grade boundaries always stay the same (90 - A*, 80 - A, 70 - B etc). They then allocate each raw mark a UMS score depending on how far you where from each grade boundary.

Here is a UMS converter for AQA if you want to have a look at how raw marks are converted to UMS scores.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ.../ums-converter
    Will I have to get higher than minimum for an A* in the other units as a result of me getting 43/50?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moltenmo)
    Will I have to get higher than minimum for an A* in the other units as a result of me getting 43/50?
    Marginally, yes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Marginally, yes.
    Care to explain a bit more or with more depth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned that you will need 272 UMS out of 300 UMS available in the three exams.

90 UMS is normally the minimum for an A* and this would get you 270/300 UMS.

Therefore, you need to be 2 UMS above the bare minimum for an A* across 3 exams.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    I mentioned that you will need 272 UMS out of 300 UMS available in the three exams.

90 UMS is normally the minimum for an A* and this would get you 270/300 UMS.

Therefore, you need to be 2 UMS above the bare minimum for an A* across 3 exams.
    So that's like a mark more right? Would you say 43/50 is good? Should I have got higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it will probably be a mark more over three exams so not a major issue.

ReputationRep:
    I got 41/50 which is an A but if you really want an A* then you would really need to get around 45/50 to get an A* in general.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidpoku)
    I got 41/50 which is an A but if you really want an A* then you would really need to get around 45/50 to get an A* in general.
    Ok thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.