The Student Room Group

Does getting braces off hurt?

I need some honest answers on how much it hurts to get your braces off because i'm actually terrified. I know I should be excited, but something about pliers and drills and moulds just gets me all nervous. So on a scale of 1-10, with one being the least pain, how much does braces removal really hurt?

Also will there be pain afterwards...?
It's been several years since I had my braces removed, I don't remember it hurting when it was being removed but it certainly did feel really strange once it was removed. It felt weird not having anything there and my teeth felt so big. If anything I probably found it more painful during the times the braces was tightened.
no pain at all
doesn't hurt at all

I had my braces off in September, and it doesn't hurt at all. The only bad part is the smell, it's disgusting, oh, and the mounds, they're also awful. But actually getting them off doesn't hurt at all
1/10

The removal of my braces (over 5 years ago) didn't hurt at all. I remember being more disturbed by the ability to smoothly run my tongue across my teeth without all the metal bits sticking out.

The worst thing about having braces was having the wire stick out at the back. My cheeks were constantly scratched for about one and a half years so taking them off was a huge relief.
Reply 6
Original post by chloecrazy
I had my braces off in September, and it doesn't hurt at all. The only bad part is the smell, it's disgusting, oh, and the mounds, they're also awful. But actually getting them off doesn't hurt at all

Which part smells?
:holmes:
I'm pretty sure there's no pain at all as far as I can remember, you have nothing to worry about :wink:
Original post by Wiggly
Which part smells?
:holmes:

Where they file off the glue. I had no water sprayed in my mouth when they were doing that so that's probably why.
For me it hurt like a mother, maybe he glued it on too tight but every SINGLE BRACKET BEING TAKEN OFF FELT LIKE A TOOTH GETTING RIPPED OUT (they took 4 from me)
Thank you for clarifying I have an over sensitive mouth and or **** dentist good sir.
Absolutely no pain, actually felt like a relief of pressure afterwards but a bit of an uncomfortable sensation when they were actually taking them off but nothing too bad at all and it definitely didn’t hurt. Don’t worry, gonna be great to have them off
If it does hurt, you should DEFINITELY tell the orthodontist, don’t just suffer through it, it shouldn’t hurt
I did. He laughed/ joked at it. Might be a sadist. To be fair most dentists probably are.
I take my braces off in a month and was wondering the same thing!!!
Reply 15
Nope, you'll be fine, it's just a little twist of the metal and they snap it off and it's gone
Had them on for ages. But nah they don't hurt, don't worry :wink:
No pain when i had mine removed.
Reply 18
Oh no

Quick Reply

Latest