Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I feel like I'm too stupid for university and don't belong there. Is this normal? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a mature student (31) and did a foundation degree to get into uni. I got the equivalent of three As at A-Level in the foundation course (or so they say) but I am really struggling with university. I get OK marks in my assignments, but exams are just barely a pass no matter how much work I put in. There is just so much information to learn and with the amount of coursework they give you, there is no time to revise. I am not a naturally smart person. It takes me 10 times longer to do anything and I get disheartened when people who don't show up to class and do an assignment the night before get better marks than me, when I've put weeks, days and hours of work into them. I just don't grasp things quickly and I'm finding it really hard. I really want to quit but I've given up everything to be in uni. I just really hate it and it makes me feel like a complete idiot. I also suffer from severe depression and anxiety (I have done for years, seeked all treatments to no avail) and I feel like uni is really negatively affecting my mental health as well. What do I do? I feel trapped :'(

ReputationRep:
    Mate I was the same, I couldn't even get into Uni. Still got myself a job though

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you're having a tough time, must be really hard to cope with uni along with depression and anxiety. Well done for your foundation course, that's really something to achieve as an adult - takes balls to go back to education!

Now this might seem like sucking eggs to you, but you have you contacted the support teams and your lecturers to share your issues? There might be some help they can provide or point you to and you shouldn't feel like a dumbass for asking; if you don't ask, you don't get

Perhaps you could find some ideas on different study methods on the web too? Give them a try. Or ask your course friends how they go about fitting everything in and retaining the info. There's so many different ways of revising and studying, there must be one that works for you.

In short - don't keep it to yourself, go find someone to speak with at the university (any student support or mentors?) and go from there. You won't be the first (just check the other forums!) and you wont be the last to find uni tough going. BUT you say you're still passing so that's good and make sure you get GP support if your mental health continues to suffer. Best of luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahBB1985)
    I am a mature student (31) and did a foundation degree to get into uni. I got the equivalent of three As at A-Level in the foundation course (or so they say) but I am really struggling with university. I get OK marks in my assignments, but exams are just barely a pass no matter how much work I put in. There is just so much information to learn and with the amount of coursework they give you, there is no time to revise. I am not a naturally smart person. It takes me 10 times longer to do anything and I get disheartened when people who don't show up to class and do an assignment the night before get better marks than me, when I've put weeks, days and hours of work into them. I just don't grasp things quickly and I'm finding it really hard. I really want to quit but I've given up everything to be in uni. I just really hate it and it makes me feel like a complete idiot. I also suffer from severe depression and anxiety (I have done for years, seeked all treatments to no avail) and I feel like uni is really negatively affecting my mental health as well. What do I do? I feel trapped :'(
    well you could well be a complete idiot and maybe university isn't for you. and yes, I was one of those who did last minute all nighters and coasted to a 2:1. Oh, I also have an MA from a QS100 uni. You know what I do now? self employed trying to scratch min wage and live in a moldy flat.

uni isn't the be all and end all. you can do quite decent without it, and you can do pretty **** even if you're educated and intelligent.

i'll tell you now, if you're doing something arty/humanities and you're poor socially (or you wouldn't be anxious and depressed), you're wasting your time because it wont' translate into graduate level paying jobs. so unless your degree is technical or give you some sort of certified status for a profession, I suggest you do what makes you less miserable and quit.

ReputationRep:
    You're not dumb or stupid, everyone learns in different ways and I agree with the previous post around how you may not have found a way of studying yet that suits you. Don't get disheartened because you deserve to be there as much as everyone else does, if not more so because of the sheer volume of effort your putting in compared to some.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.