Turn on thread page Beta

Courses for Surgeon watch

    • Thread Starter

    There are two university's should I take...

    University A - A pre graduate corse on Medicine then a post graduate course on Surgery


    University B - A pre graduate on Medicine and Surgery

    I think there is a discrepancy here - the term "medicine" has two broad meanings - an undergraduate course in "medicine" will train you in medicine and in surgery (as well as in obstetrics and gynaecology), which are the three major subjects in clinical "medicine", with the first 2 (medicine and surgery) having several sub-specialties each [e.g. cardiology in medicine; cardiothoracic surgery in surgery] when refering to matters of the heart

    You cannot study a postgraduate degree in surgery (FRCS [Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons] in UK, or MS [Master of Surgery] in some countries) without first becoming a doctor by completing an undergraduate degree in "medicine" (which, as I said above includes medicine (MB) and surgery (BS) giving MBBS or [MBBCh (Ch stands for Chirugery which is equvalent to Surgery) if you study at Cambridge].

    Therefore, your first option suggests a degree in "medicine" (UG of course) followed by a PG degree in surgery.

    The second option suggests only a degree in medicine (UG again), after which, you are open to doing FRCS exams (PG in Surgery - [Primary and Final]) after the requisite experience in hospital medicine as a qualified doctor. (and registered medical practitioner after finishing your pre-reg year).

    So, in summary the two courses are no different, except that the first option states the PG course in conjunction with the UG; ONLY proviso is that if, the first option offers both at the same price as the second, then the first is obviously preferable financially.

    Hope this rather detailed explanation helps!

    Mukesh (ex-medic)
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.