Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling all astronomers and night-sky watchers! Thoughts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good evening,

I enjoy walks in my local area. For the last few nights, there has been this star in the sky (in a west by southwest direction, about 50-70 degrees from the horizon, at about 5-7PM GMT.)

It caught my eye as the brightest star in the sky, yet it was fading intermittently. About 30 seconds for each fade and as it got more towards a very dim star, the fade would increase in speed. Then the process would reverse up to a bright star again.

Things Ive ruled out are planes, satellites (I wouldnt have thought you could see geostationary with the naked eye) and meteors.

Nothing on a google search, any thoughts? Seen this phenomenon yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno about it fading maybe just a sort of twinkling effect.But Venus is the brightest object in the night sky other than the moon.So I would guess at Venus.Its also generally visible after the sun has set or before it rises.I.e dawn or dusk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    Good evening,

I enjoy walks in my local area. For the last few nights, there has been this star in the sky (in a west by southwest direction, about 50-70 degrees from the horizon, at about 5-7PM GMT.)

It caught my eye as the brightest star in the sky, yet it was fading intermittently. About 30 seconds for each fade and as it got more towards a very dim star, the fade would increase in speed. Then the process would reverse up to a bright star again.

Things Ive ruled out are planes, satellites (I wouldnt have thought you could see geostationary with the naked eye) and meteors.

I can rule it out as being a star or a planet for sure, but besides from that I wouldn't really be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Dunno about it fading maybe just a sort of twinkling effect.But Venus is the brightest object in the night sky other than the moon.So I would guess at Venus.Its also generally visible after the sun has set or before it rises.I.e dawn or dusk.
    Thats pretty much what made me take notice. It is quite a distinctive fade. Thats exactly what I said to my friend when we noticed it the other night as well.

Im just wondering if this is a normal effect when viewing Venus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Venus certainly wouldn't be anywhere near that high above the horizon. Remember 90 degrees is directly overhead

ReputationRep:
    tbh i have seen a star like that except it doesnt move to another star i just got brighter and much more closer to me. it was really something

Good evening,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I can rule it out as being a star or a planet for sure, but besides from that I wouldn't really be able to help you. Helicopter perhaps?
    Dont think so, no sound or noticeable movement. Its sort of like a single white christmas light on that slow fade effect.

ReputationRep:
    Dont think so, no sound or noticeable movement. Its sort of like a single white christmas light on that slow fade effect.
    Yeah I posted that without realising you've seen it a few nights in a row

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure its been Venus i have been seing in the night sky recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unillama)
    tbh i have seen a star like that except it doesnt move to another star i just got brighter and much more closer to me. it was really something
    Yeah, it can be quite magical when you witness stuff like that. There was one time I was stumbling home drunk, and I saw a huge meteor with the tail coloured turquoise! Space is awesome lol

(Original post by RobML)
    Yeah I posted that without realising you've seen it a few nights in a row
    Lol no worries

(Original post by Ekel)
    Im pretty sure its been Venus i have been seing in the night sky recently.
    If it is, it's damn strange.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it can be quite magical when you witness stuff like that. There was one time I was stumbling home drunk, and I saw a huge meteor with the tail coloured turquoise! Space is awesome lol

Lol no worries

If it is, it's damn strange.
    Was it really 50-70 degrees above the horizon? Because I would agree it being venus if it wasn't so high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Venus certainly wouldn't be anywhere near that high above the horizon. Remember 90 degrees is directly overhead

They said 50-70 degrees.But you are right about it not being 90 degrees.If it was moving fast then it would have to be a satellite,plane or meteor.If not then that just leaves planets and stars. Venus is the brightest,then the next brightest would be Jupiter. So I would say one of them.Sirius is the brightest star,dunno whether you can see that though at the moment. No idea what the fading is though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Was it really 50-70 degrees above the horizon? Because I would agree it being venus if it wasn't so high
    Could be, I could be slightly overestimating. Though, I have seen Venus before yet never seen an effect like the last few nights, that's why it's so strange to me :/

Edit, yeah probably more toward 50 degrees, my bad lol

ReputationRep:
    Is it the one seen by the Magi perhaps? After all, you saw it on Epiphany.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.