Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In dire need of information/recommendations/suggestions on what to take between geography and history. I do not want to take both but definitely one of the two. I enjoy both and am quite good at both, although maybe slightly better at geog. As well as your personal experience with either/both of the subjects, I'd like to know which one is...

a) easier
    b) most time consuming
    c) more worth taking in your opinion
    d) more fun or interesting

My school has not given me a lot of information which explains what taking either would entail or involve, so any information, tips or experiences at all would really really help!! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Geography is often not as interesting as the syllabus would make it out to be IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucreziag)
    In dire need of information/recommendations/suggestions on what to take between geography and history. I do not want to take both but definitely one of the two. As well as your personal experience with either/both of the subjects, I'd like to know which one is...

a) easier
    b) most time consuming

My school has not given me a lot of information which explains what taking either would entail or involve, so any information, tips or experiences at all would really really help!! Thanks
    I haven't taken either for A-level but judging by the textbooks and others taking the subjects:
    1. Geography
    2. History
    3. History
    4. Your own opinion really

ReputationRep:
    I did geography at gcse and there are so many case studies to learn, but there are a lot in history too - I would say history needs the case studies to be more in depth oppose to geography. From what my friends and I think is that geography is the easier one to choose. Personally, I would say geography and history are both well respected!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did geography and loved it.
    I found it really interesting, but thats just my opinion.
    Yes, there were a lot of case studies to learn, but most of the ones we did werent too bad. And there were the odd case studies which were used for more than one thing which helped.
    I never did history though so cant comment on that.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Geography right now and I love it. I see the majority of people that took history regretting it very much right now and their grades are also much lower. I would say take geography because it's a lot less stressful because history is so essay based and complicated whereas geography is very easy if you know exam techniques. However, it also does depend on your teacher, I was lucky to have a teacher that taught so well step by step so it is going well for me. At the end of the day, it's really your choice because if you are more interested in history then you may hate geography so be wise with your options. If you are entirely unsure, take geography.

ReputationRep:
    In dire need of information/recommendations/suggestions on what to take between geography and history. I do not want to take both but definitely one of the two. I enjoy both and am quite good at both, although maybe slightly better at geog. As well as your personal experience with either/both of the subjects, I'd like to know which one is...

a) easier
    b) most time consuming

I take History, I am in year eleven. I think the subject is really fun, very interesting as you are always learning new things about what happened many years ago. It can be easy and it can be hard it depends on how you find the subject on a whole.
    It does require great amounts of revisions, but I suppose that most subjects are alike in the time it takes.
    I think it is a great subject to take and overall one of my most enjoyable subjects.

ReputationRep:

a) easier
    b) most time consuming

I did geography and history, many people said that geography is easy but to be honest with you i found geography much harder as there is more content to cover 12 topics wheres for history i had 6 topics in total.History is easier to revise for as all i did was read the textbook but for geography its harder to revise in my experience and some topic areas can be quite tricky especial in physical geography.History is seen as a better qualification I would say and I found it more interesting and i learnt a lot in history.I was excited about geography at first as i really like learning about countries,capitals and things like that but it was really boring and the content covered is not that interesting e.g. rivers and oceans and waterworld. I would recommend doing history, you learn good essay skills and learn analysis when analysing sources and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    It depends which exam board you're taking, I took AQA for both so I can only tell you about that

a) easier
    Geography have much lower grade boundaries and the questions are pretty much the same every year.
    History has higher grade boundaries and if you're not good analysing sources then you'll be stuck.
    Also geography has a foundation paper but history doesn't

b) most time consuming
    Geography - lots of case studies & processes to learn

Depends which one you enjoy
    I hated geography but loved history so I would say history but geography is an easy a*

History was most interesting
    Geography wasn't what I expected - we had to learn about geological processes as opposed to where places are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammychu00)
    It depends which exam board you're taking, I took AQA for both so I can only tell you about that

a) easier
    Geography have much lower grade boundaries and the questions are pretty much the same every year.
    History has higher grade boundaries and if you're not good analysing sources then you'll be stuck.
    Also geography has a foundation paper but history doesn't

b) most time consuming
    Geography - lots of case studies & processes to learn

Depends which one you enjoy
    I hated geography but loved history so I would say history but geography is an easy a*

History was most interesting
    Geography wasn't what I expected - we had to learn about geological processes as opposed to where places are
    Thanks so much. Today I was told by my history teacher that I should take her subject, which was really annoying as I had decided to take geography but now I'm having second thoughts! I'm scarred about running out of time for history in the exam as I'm really good at just memorising knowledge and regurgitating it directly onto the page rather than intergrating knowledge and applying it to questions. Also, since you did AQA, could I ask how you found the coursework aspect of it? Apparently it's not fun at all and I don't want it to bring my grade down if I pick geo...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much. Today I was told by my history teacher that I should take her subject, which was really annoying as I had decided to take geography but now I'm having second thoughts! I'm scarred about running out of time for history in the exam as I'm really good at just memorising knowledge and regurgitating it directly onto the page rather than intergrating knowledge and applying it to questions. Also, since you did AQA, could I ask how you found the coursework aspect of it? Apparently it's not fun at all and I don't want it to bring my grade down if I pick geo...
    History is just memorising knowledge and regurgitating it. While in geography you have to think a bit. As long as you memorise the history textbook you will be fine. I would do history I did both, and i preferred history a lot more and i found it way easier and there is less content.

ReputationRep:
    The coursework was fine I got an A in it but an A* overall because I did well in the exams. Coursework only makes up 25% and as long as you do exactly what the teacher tells you to then you'll be fine. It is really boring but history also has coursework so either way you're going have to do it. I would say the geography coursework was harder in that there was a lot to do - analyse data, write a hypothesis, come up with a question, collecting data. Geography coursework took a lot longer but don't let that put you off because you'll only be doing it for about 6 weeks whereas you'll be learning content for 2 years so pick whichever one you'll enjoy more and don't let the coursework be the deciding factor.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I still have my geography notes from last year that might help you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammychu00)
    The coursework was fine I got an A in it but an A* overall because I did well in the exams. Coursework only makes up 25% and as long as you do exactly what the teacher tells you to then you'll be fine. It is really boring but history also has coursework so either way you're going have to do it. I would say the geography coursework was harder in that there was a lot to do - analyse data, write a hypothesis, come up with a question, collecting data. Geography coursework took a lot longer but don't let that put you off because you'll only be doing it for about 6 weeks whereas you'll be learning content for 2 years so pick whichever one you'll enjoy more and don't let the coursework be the deciding factor.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I still have my geography notes from last year that might help you!
    Thanks! Is there more to learn in either subject?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Is there more to learn in either subject?
    There's more to learn in geography but the way they ask the questions they kind of prompt you whereas with history the questions are open ended so if you forget then you're stuck. It's also easier to do geography past papers and once you do a couple you'll realise the questions are pretty much the same each year so you'll know exactly what the mark scheme asks for and how much you need to learn to do well.

ReputationRep:
    Geography's dull but easy (exam wise, the coursework's hell.)

Although it's probably more work, I think History would be a lot more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Do not get me started on GCSE Geography! It was my hardest GCSE, even harder than Science, English, Maths and even Spanish. The amount of content you are required to learn for the exam is unbelievable, especially with the AQA board. History is not as bad and you can use sources in your answer. To get a good grade at Geography, in my opinion, you kind of have to "love" the subject and be interested in it, unlike me who did it just for the EBAC!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:

a) easier
    b) most time consuming

Geography is easier.
    History is most time consuming.
    Either.
    In my opinion Geography is more interesting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.