Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear everyone,

I am currently a 17 year-old student living in Denmark. In just one and a half year, I will be finishing high school - and without intending to sound arrogant, I am positive that it will be with grades, which will be pretty outstanding and able to get me into most universities. Naturally, I am aware that grades on their own will not be enough to secure me a spot by any means - however, the main concern that I am currently dealing with, is, if would be worth it for me to attend a university abroad?

If I were to study abroad, I will be planning on choosing preferably Cambridge, if not possible, LSE is currently my second option, where my chosen course most likely be economics.

There is various reasons, that I am highly considering these options:

- The reputation
    - The network and equally high achieving academics surrounding you each and every day
    - The supervision / tutorial system and quality of the education
    - I have always had an idea, that I would work abroad from Denmark when I grew older. This may be a good way to start living that idea.
    - The social scene (I've mostly been looking at the various societies and clubs, Cambridge has to offer and heard students' stories while I was there once) I could also imagine LSE having quite a broad selection of non-academic related activities, which the Danish universities generally don't offer to the same extent

What is, however, mainly holding me back is naturally the high tuition fee cost as opposed to the free education in Denmark - and naturally the thought of leaving my friends, family, and everything I've grown up with is a scary thought as well, but I'm pretty sure I'll get used to the thought.

So all in all, I guess the real question for me is; is it worth it leaving my home country, which offers free education in order to be able to attend Cambridge or LSE as an undergrad if possible?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You don't know that your grades will be outstanding; it would be wise to assume nothing at this stage. But even if you do get amazing grades, that is no guarantee that Cambridge or the LSE will accept you - everyone who applies will have high grades. Personally, I wouldn't spend £50k+ on a degree if I had the option to study for free, so no, I don't think it is worth leaving Denmark. You should also factor in Brexit, once the UK has left the EU, you probably won't have access to government student loans - so how will you pay for it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.