Would changing volume have an effect on Kc?

Watch
TheAdviser101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Kc involves concentration which depend on volume so shouldn't changing volume have an effect on Kc if volume is altered? Unless of course the volume cancels out in the equation anyway
remaincalm444
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheAdviser101)
Kc involves concentration which depend on volume so shouldn't changing volume have an effect on Kc if volume is altered? Unless of course the volume cancels out in the equation anyway
Kc is temperature dependent, so changing the temperature will change its value. The type of change depends on whether it's an exothermic or endothermic reaction.

If the reaction is exothermic, increasing the temperature will reduce Kc and vice-verca. This is because if you increase the temp., you drive the equilibrium backwards (in the endothermic direction), and therefore increase the concentration of reactants and decrease the concentration of products.

If endothermic, increasing the temperature will increase Kc, and vice-verca.
TheAdviser101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by remaincalm444)
Kc is temperature dependent, so changing the temperature will change its value. The type of change depends on whether it's an exothermic or endothermic reaction.

If the reaction is exothermic, increasing the temperature will reduce Kc and vice-verca. This is because if you increase the temp., you drive the equilibrium backwards (in the endothermic direction), and therefore increase the concentration of reactants and decrease the concentration of products.

If endothermic, increasing the temperature will increase Kc, and vice-verca.
I am talking about the effect of volume on Kc. Say a reaction happens at T temperature in a certain volume. If a second reaction happens in the same temperature T with the same amount of reagents but in a larger volume container, how will this affect the Kc.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Kc is unaffected by changes in volume, concentration or pressure.

Only changes in temperature will affect the value of Kc.

And Kp, Kw K etc.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Kc is a ratio of concentrations. Because changing the volume affects the concentrations of all solutes equally, changing the volume does not affect Kc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.72%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (267)
30%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.31%

Watched Threads