Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in the midst of preparing for my gcses this year. Say i gain these grades:
    maths 8 or 9(both mean a*)
    english 7(A)
    sciences 3 A*
    history A*
    R.E A*
    german A or A*
    computing A
    ECDL A*
    Would they be good enough for GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously asking if 8 A*'s is enough?

(Original post by ultimateradman)
      english 7(A)
      sciences 3 A*
      history A*
      R.E A*
      german A or A*
      computing A
      ECDL A*
      Preparing, as in you're fifteen and about to start with your first set of modules?

Sheeyit. Do your work, live your life, and let what happens in four years worry about itself. The only reason why anyone wants to go to Oxford/Cambridge is so they can say they went there.

Life's too short for that ****.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      Preparing, as in you're fifteen and about to start with your first set of modules?

Sheeyit. Do your work, live your life, and let what happens in four years worry about itself. The only reason why anyone wants to go to Oxford/Cambridge is so they can say they went there.

Life's too short for that ****.
      nah man im 16 i have them THIS year XI

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Welshstig)
      Are you seriously asking if 8 A*'s is enough?
      well when you put it that way... what would u say is the threshold for being thought of as "good enough"?

nah man im 16 i have them THIS year XI
        *shrug* I couldn't care less, TBH.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)
        *shrug* I couldn't care less, TBH.

wow don't cut yourself on all that edge dude

well when you put it that way... what would u say is the threshold for being thought of as "good enough"?
        There is no threshold, GCSEs are only one factor in your application, along with admission test scores, personal statement, tutor statement, predicted grades, etc. Just do your best

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by liziepie)
        wow don't cut yourself on all that edge dude

There is no threshold, GCSEs are only one factor in your application, along with admission test scores, personal statement, tutor statement, predicted grades, etc. Just do your best
        What this guy said ^^ @ultimateradman

ReputationRep:
        Don't ponder over your GCSE grades too much. I got 1 a*, 5 as, 4bs and a c, yet received an offer from Oxford this morning to study classics !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        english 7(A)
        sciences 3 A*
        history A*
        R.E A*
        german A or A*
        computing A
        ECDL A*
        For most courses 7/8 A*s is more than enough. 10 would be ideal, but 8 is certainly good enough. The average successful applicant has 7/8 A*s I would guess ( average is not a cut off, please remember that!). It also depends on the subject - for medicine you'd perhaps be a weaker applicant, but as there are less applicants for something like Chemistry, then 8 might make you stronger. Remember that there's a lot more to getting in than GCSEs though, your entrance test, interviews and submitted work still count.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.