Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who in their right bloody mind understands Statistics? Please? Tell me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    Pure maths...core mathematics is beautiful. Absorbing. Delicious.

And then we have Statistics. I suppose it doesn't help i have a moody Irish teacher. But good god, does anyone truly understand anything from this content?
    Got 100 UMS on S1 and I don't think I actually understood any of it. (I would be happy to try to help though if you have any specific questions at this level)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    S2 was a disease
    S2 is the nicest module that has ever existed.

S1 is soul-destroying though.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Pure mathematics is ugly if you hate it
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    S2 is the nicest module that has ever existed.

S1 is soul-destroying though.
    Statistics in general shouldn't exist

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I find it quite fun as some of the questions can be like puzzles.

ReputationRep:
    I have a stats exam coming up.

If you think S1/S2 is hard, just wait till you get to uni

ReputationRep:
    I did my S1 mock few weeks back and haven't touched it since. The exam is on 20th and i feel that i've forgotten everything
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Ohh. Are you just doing it for fun?
    Yea. I had been very good at maths when I was younger but stopped doing it when I was in year7 for the most part. I decided on a whim to teach myself the GCSE. I took it cold and managed a strong B, spent a couple of hours teaching myself trig and a couple of the other things I didn't know and then managed a couple of marks off an A* due to some silly mistakes (I finished the exams in half the time) so I then took a third set of exams and managed the A*. Took me a day or so.

Then I moved on to the A level with every intention of learning all 18 Edexcel modules, but I got a new job and just lost interest so all of my notes and books and such are just sat in a drawer.

It was a personal challenge. I do hope to get back to it at some point, but I'm incredibly lazy unfortunately.

(Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    interesting. what was your learning/revision techniques?
    I don't really have any. I had the Edexcel module book and watched videos on anything that wasn't clear and then just took the exam (self administered and harshly marked). Like I said, none of it stuck. If I took the exam again right now I'd probably get a D. Sorry I have nothing useful to offer!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Yea. I had been very good at maths when I was younger but stopped doing it when I was in year7 for the most part. I decided on a whim to teach myself the GCSE. I took it cold and managed a strong B, spent a couple of hours teaching myself trig and a couple of the other things I didn't know and then managed a couple of marks off an A* due to some silly mistakes (I finished the exams in half the time) so I then took a third set of exams and managed the A*. Took me a day or so.

Then I moved on to the A level with every intention of learning all 18 Edexcel modules, but I got a new job and just lost interest so all of my notes and books and such are just sat in a drawer.

It was a personal challenge. I do hope to get back to it at some point, but I'm incredibly lazy unfortunately.

I don't really have any. I had the Edexcel module book and watched videos on anything that wasn't clear and then just took the exam (self administered and harshly marked). Like I said, none of it stuck. If I took the exam again right now I'd probably get a D. Sorry I have nothing useful to offer!
    Sounds good! Whu don't you actually take the GCSE since you know you can get an A*.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Sounds good! Whu don't you actually take the GCSE since you know you can get an A*.
    Because it would be a waste of time and money. A GCSE A* is completely worthless to me as, at my stage of life, nobody could care less about my GCSE results if they tried. An A* in the A level would help a little in as much as it would be concrete evidence that I am numerate, but beyond that if I was going to pay to take any exams it would be whichever ones would present some sort of challenge because I'd be doing it for personal development. The GCSE is completely trivial.

Truthfully, I am never likely to stick with something like this for long enough. I often decide I am going to learn something, spend a couple of days making decent progress and then have one too many ales and decide I'd rather watch Gilmore Girls :facepalm2: It has been the story of my life, unfortunately.

Really, I should be learning Mandarin or Python or something :lol:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because it would be a waste of time and money. A GCSE A* is completely worthless to me as, at my stage of life, nobody could care less about my GCSE results if they tried. An A* in the A level would help a little in as much as it would be concrete evidence that I am numerate, but beyond that if I was going to pay to take any exams it would be whichever ones would present some sort of challenge because I'd be doing it for personal development. The GCSE is completely trivial.

Truthfully, I am never likely to stick with something like this for long enough. I often decide I am going to learn something, spend a couple of days making decent progress and then have one too many ales and decide I'd rather watch Gilmore Girls :facepalm2: It has been the story of my life, unfortunately.

Really, I should be learning Mandarin or Python or something :lol:
    Ah, you could do a lot if you stick with it. I guess an A* in GCSE Maths for you would be useless and its not valued much anymore. Since you hadn't revised or done any maths for sometime, how did you revise for GCSE Maths?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Ah, you could do a lot if you stick with it. I guess an A* in GCSE Maths for you would be useless and its not valued much anymore. Since you hadn't revised or done any maths for sometime, how did you revise for GCSE Maths?
    As I said, I printed the two exams and just took them on a whim because I was bored. This showed me what I never learned, or what I had forgotten. Mostly this was trig and geometry I think. I found some good videos which taught me the methods, so after a couple of practice questions I took another set of exams, an hour or two after the first, and missed the A* by 1 or 2 marks. I took a third set of exams right after marking the second, got the A* and called it a day. I then moved on to the A level.

I suppose my method was to take exams and plug the holes. There really isn't much that you need to learn, much of it is very basic problem solving really.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not my favourite but our teacher told us that the papers and skills involved are quite repetitive so we just have to keep at it. Also I found the website physics and maths tutor quite helpful in getting relevant questions if that helps

ReputationRep:
    I think mechanics is actually easier than stats. Although to be fair, both aren't that difficult. I did S1 and S2 and got a high A and a C respectively so I can't talk much, got a B in M1 last year but I find M2 is easier. The theory is actually the easy bit to understand, it's just sometimes they give difficult exam questions
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I printed the two exams and just took them on a whim because I was bored. This showed me what I never learned, or what I had forgotten. Mostly this was trig and geometry I think. I found some good videos which taught me the methods, so after a couple of practice questions I took another set of exams, an hour or two after the first, and missed the A* by 1 or 2 marks. I took a third set of exams right after marking the second, got the A* and called it a day. I then moved on to the A level.

I suppose my method was to take exams and plug the holes. There really isn't much that you need to learn, much of it is very basic problem solving really.
    Yeah that's true, or it's just as you said that your good at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Statistics is basically maths for people who can't do maths. You can do all of A-level statistics on a calculator, for goodness sake.

ReputationRep:
    Vic Reeves once said 88.2% of statistics were made up on the spot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.