Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I study Chemistry and I am now in my final year. I have started my dissertation this academic year based on physical chemistry. It is the determination of 4-chlorophenol by means of Titanium (IV) oxide blade coating sensors using SEM/AFM (and possibly Cyclic voltametry). I am become quite stressed as there aren't many people I can turn to when I need help, including postgrads. Does anyone know any good journals or sites that links really well with this experiment? Also are there any Chemistry postgrads here?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJess1)
    Hi I study Chemistry and I am now in my final year. I have started my dissertation this academic year based on physical chemistry. It is the determination of 4-chlorophenol by means of Titanium (IV) oxide blade coating sensors using SEM/AFM (and possibly Cyclic voltametry). I am become quite stressed as there aren't many people I can turn to when I need help, including postgrads. Does anyone know any good journals or sites that links really well with this experiment? Also are there any Chemistry postgrads here?
    Have you spoken to your subject librarian at your university library? They're usually the best contact when it comes to finding good sources.

ReputationRep:
    Do you use Endnote referencing software? Most unis give their student discount on it OR you can probs use it on your uni computers. It has the ability to search using numerous scientific and other databases of research papers, and then makes it simple to cite your references within your project report, as well as listing the bibliography at the end of your document automatically without typing out every reference manually; it provides around 3000 different formats of referencing as used by all famous journals (including APA, Harvard, etc. depending on the specs laid down by your dept) (these formats are also editable).

I will try and locate a relevant database within my copy of Endnote (watch this space!)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macpatelgh)
    Do you use Endnote referencing software? Most unis give their student discount on it OR you can probs use it on your uni computers. It has the ability to search using numerous scientific and other databases of research papers, and then makes it simple to cite your references within your project report, as well as listing the bibliography at the end of your document automatically without typing out every reference manually; it provides around 3000 different formats of referencing as used by all famous journals (including APA, Harvard, etc. depending on the specs laid down by your dept) (these formats are also editable).

I will try and locate a relevant database within my copy of Endnote (watch this space!)
    The op doesn't mention any problem with citations/references - they're struggling to find resources.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried the most comprehensive database of scientific research papers available to institutions - Web of Science?

If not, go to:
    http://wok.mimas.ac.uk/

Click on purple rectangular icon and login with your uni login details (called Shibboleth login system [called an OSN]) - then search using various search strategies including boolean search (AND, OR and NOT prepositions (all upper case), using "speech marks" to search a whole phrase, etc.) This database contains over 60 million references, so there should be something relevant to your research.

Good luck!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    http://library.soton.ac.uk/c.php?g=131288&p=858620

http://libguides.bham.ac.uk/subjectsupport/chemistry

Your library should have a page like this that will not only link to journals where your university log in will work but will have contact details for your subject librarian who will be able to help you find good sources.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry overlooked bit more info to save u time although u have probs worked it out:

On the login page, in dropdown below "Institutional (Shibboleth) ......."
    Select UK Federation (2nd from bottom) Click "Go"

On next page select your uni name, then your login details.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Sorry overlooked bit more info to save u time although u have probs worked it out:

On the login page, in dropdown below "Institutional (Shibboleth) ......."
    Select UK Federation (2nd from bottom) Click "Go"

On next page select your uni name, then your login details.
    Not every university library subscribes to WoS - only those on this list http://wok.mimas.ac.uk/support/restr...bscribers.html and even then many will only have partial subscriptions to sources depending on what they library has budgeted for.

OP needs to look on their university library pages to work out which resources they can access.

ReputationRep:
    You are right of course, but if you look at the abundance of unis that subscribe to WoS (chk screenshot below - even Bournemouth which is more well-known for history and the arts is on there (!), so chances are DJess1's uni does subscribe, especially as it offers a chemistry degree - no harm in looking, anyway) - btw, what in heaven is "OP" ? - pls enlighten me!

Name:  shibboleth.png
Views: 27
Size:  51.0 KB
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You are right of course, but if you look at the abundance of unis that subscribe to WoS (chk screenshot below - even Bournemouth which is more well-known for history and the arts is on there (!), so chances are DJess1's uni does subscribe, especially as it offers a chemistry degree - no harm in looking, anyway) - btw, what in heaven is "OP" ? - pls enlighten me!

Name:  shibboleth.png
Views: 27
Size:  51.0 KB
    OP = original poster (or opening post) - so essentially the threadstarter or their first post.

Bournemouth has a basic subscription (WOS Primary) whereas larger/older universities subscribe to "WoS Citation Connection" which covers a different level of information/access - although some (like Bristol) also only use the basic level of subscription. With the basic package you can see the citations but not necessarily access the source journal unless the university concerned has subscribed separately.

(and fwiw Bournemouth's forensic archaeology is pretty much unmatched in the UK, and their sport science/biology and healthcare courses, design engineering and ICT/cyber security provision is all excellent - and their history course is tiny and they don't offer many arts courses - they're offered at https://aub.ac.uk/ next door )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Can't help on that specific topic, but at my uni the chemistry department did some lectures on how to do literature research and mentioned things like WoS - perhaps ask someone in your department if they offer any courses on this or could advice you?

Also, probably the best person to ask for resources on your specific topic is your dissertation supervisor, who presumably works in the area?

ReputationRep:
    V V briefly, I think PQ is completely losing track of the purpose of TSR which is to help students in need (most sincere apologies to DJess1), and NOT to diversify into proving who is right or wrong in relation to irrelevant issues - "forensic archaeology" does not have the remotest affiliation to chemistry!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.