Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm really interested in studying abroad for a year during my degree, and I have applied for English Lit at Leeds. When I visited another university which offers a really similar additional year programme, a lot of the students told me what they thought about which unis on the study abroad programme would be best for certain degrees. For example, an English student told me Boston College for English (I know Leeds does not have connections with this particular uni).

I'm interested in the US, but Canada, Australia and South Africa also interest me. Could any students who may have done this, or know anything about it tell me anything regarding which foreign unis are good for English Literature students?

Hi - have you looked at your official uni pages for study abroad, for every uni you applied to? I actually thought I could go to the university of melbourne and did all the module research before realising it wasn't on my list of potential unis if I went to Exeter (which I have). If you can't find it, email the university, or better yet, its Head of Humanities (contact info should be on the course page). Ask all the questions. Write down the list of possible unis and then go look at league tables. That's how I found out that the universities of melbourne and sydney are in the world's top 20 unis /top 0.1% for english lit! I think Exeter is in the top 3%? Certainly not top 20 anyway, though comparatively excellent. Also, if you still can, switch to "with study abroad" courses. The difference it makes is that if you achieve a minimum of 60% in your first year, you are guaranteed a study abroad opportunity (though probably in Europe, as the minimum for going further out hikes up to 65%). Don't disregard this just because you want to go somewhere far and foreign - trust me, I made that mistake! Europe can definitely surprise you even if you are disappointed you didn't make it to Tokyo or New York.
    Absolute best of luck with your applications! X
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.