Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Compounds A and B are D-aldopentoses which by oxidation with HNO3 give optically active acids. What are A and B?

Is the correct answer ribose and arabinose

ReputationRep:
    Why those two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Why those two?
    I chose them randomly. Is that the correct answer or not?

ReputationRep:
    One of your answers is correct.

A classic teacher response now is to point out that if I were simply to tell you the answer, you'd learn nothing. If you had to research it for yourself, you're much more likely to understand and remember.

It didn't take me long to google the answer, time I didn't mind wasting as I was interested in the answer. I don't want to just do your homework for you.

Your Q perhaps should have mentioned that it forms a diacid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    I chose them randomly. Is that the correct answer or not?
    If you chose them randomly it doesn't matter if you're right or not. Either way you don't understand what you're supposed to.

ReputationRep:
    One of your answers is correct.

A classic teacher response now is to point out that if I were simply to tell you the answer, you'd learn nothing. If you had to research it for yourself, you're much more likely to understand and remember.

It didn't take me long to google the answer, time I didn't mind wasting as I was interested in the answer. I don't want to just do your homework for you.

Your Q perhaps should have mentioned that it forms a diacid.
    Well, I know that for a molecule to be optically active it must have a stereocenter, a carbon that has 4 different groups or atoms attached. So is arabinose is oxidized it will give an optically active acid but if ribose is oxidized it wont, right?

ReputationRep:
    Correct, so which is the other one?

ReputationRep:
    Correct, so which is the other one?
    xylose ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    xylose ?
    Are you guessing again?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.